Should Artist Sign By Guitar?

looneytunes
looneytunes
03/19/2008 9:19 am
I have a $3000 acoustic Martin that I take everywhere. On occasions I have had the opportunity to have artist sign it, but never did. I understand it would ad value to the guitar to have signatures of well known artists. We are talking about Dolly Parton, Glen Campbell, Charlie Daniels, Kenny Rogers, Phil Keaggy, Tommy Emmanuel, Tony Rice, Jerry Reed, Doc Watson, and many more. Notice some are not great guitarist, but are well know celebritities in the music industry.

Of course, I may not be able to get any now, but if I could, should I have them sign my Martin? And if so, what type of pen should be used? I'm thinking a permanent marker like a Sharpie. And will it take well to the high polished surface. I certainly don't want it to smear or fade.

What say you? Anybody!

I don't want my guitar to look like Tommy Emmanuel's, but it hasn't hurt the sound. He has to wear the lower bow through sometime with all that scratching.

P.S. Where I live there is a Biography tonight on Jimmy Hendix. You might see if you can get it were you live, if you are interested.
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2008 11:08 am
From what I've seen lately, artists are refusing to sign guitars anymore because all it does it add value so the person can sell it on eBay.
Some guys even try just taking the pick guard with them.

There was a funny video on TMZ last week of a guy try to get a guitar player to sign his pick guard. He wouldn't sign it with his real name so he wrote a fake one.
# 2
jesica
jesica
03/19/2008 1:25 pm
Hey its very kool,, I also try to take some ons signature over my Guitar, so that I could sale it over Ebay :)
# 3
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
03/19/2008 2:30 pm
Personally I wouldn't.

I guess it would depend on what you wanted it signed for. I think autographs would ruin a perfectly good looking guitar.

There are lots of people out there who idolize artists and would pay huge amounts of money for their autograph. So if you want to make money by making your guitar a collector's item, then go for it. However, if you still want to play the guitar - you have to be very careful that you don't lose detail of the signature etc., then it just becomes a guitar with graffiti on it, and may lessen the value of your guitar.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 4
looneytunes
looneytunes
03/19/2008 3:06 pm
I'm not out to make money on the guitar even though Martins do increase in value over the years. I just admire these artists and thought it would bring some good memories. I would still want to play the guitar. It's my favorite!

It would be a nice inheritance for my grandkids.

Like Kevin said, they probably wouldn't even sign it now days. I don't really see the difference in a ball player signing a ball.

I don't think I'm even going to try.
# 5
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
03/19/2008 5:21 pm
if you do try get some nitrocellous laquar to 'paint' over the sig. that way it wont smear.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 6
strat-man
strat-man
03/19/2008 10:13 pm
It's not something i would do.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2008 11:02 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesI'm not out to make money on the guitar even though Martins do increase in value over the years. I just admire these artists and thought it would bring some good memories. I would still want to play the guitar. It's my favorite!

It would be a nice inheritance for my grandkids.

Like Kevin said, they probably wouldn't even sign it now days. I don't really see the difference in a ball player signing a ball.

I don't think I'm even going to try.

I guess it's the whole value thing. A guitar is more of a personal thing and having a famous artist sign your guitar can be taken as meaning that he's endorsing it.
Some artists might even be restricted from signing guitars cause they're under contract to a different company.
# 8
looneytunes
looneytunes
03/20/2008 8:55 am
I never really thought of it from a legal point of view. I pretty well made up my mind. I am not going to seek signatures.

Thanks guys!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.