Rhythm

Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
03/12/2008 10:04 pm
hi can someone help me with this my understanding of rhytym is really poor and at my stage i really need to improve. what i have trouble with is flowing through rythyms. instead i seem to anticipate what comes next instead of playing them as they come. i struggle deciphering rhytmys when hear to especially 16th notes. can anyone help me without directing me to a page on this site.
# 1

03/15/2008 12:45 am
One of the practice routines that helped me a lot for rhythm was to play over drum loops.

Metronome is great to learn how to play on beat but drum loops are the next best thing to playing with a band.

I'm sure if you google drum loops you can find some free ones on the net.

Just put on a drum loops and try to play a chord on each snare hit, then every bass drum hit. Then play every other hit. Have fun with the loops and you'll actually end up working up a pretty good exercise.

When I want to write some new riffs I do that exact same exercise. I start with the good old E5 and add others as i go.

Hopefully that gives you one more exercise to work on rhythm.
# 2
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
03/15/2008 1:34 am
cheers in that case i may go even further and make my own jam tracks with and without guitars. some with lead and without ryhtym and vice versa.
# 3
jessewakeman
jessewakeman
03/16/2008 2:40 pm
You just have to work on it metronome is your best bet
# 4
crazyguy
crazyguy
03/17/2008 1:01 pm
If you have the opportunity, learn to play the drums. The biggest improvement in my rhythm playing and understanding occurred when I started playing (with) the drums. I'm still not a good drummer, but at least I can accompany someone playing another instrument, or explain my drummer what I want him to play.
Think of something that seems difficult, nail it and gradually speed it up. I like playing bass drum on 1 and hi-hat on 3 (pedals only) in 4/4 rhythm and trying to add a 3/4 or 5/4 beat (sticks only) on top of that.
Another thing, learn to tap your foot while playing.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.