View post (Looking at getting a new amp)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/14/2008 11:44 am
Here's what you need to do:
1. Work out the specs of what you need.
2. Go and play the amps.
3. Buy the amp.

The most important part is #1. You need to know what you want the amp for.. there's no point getting a huge 150w tube head with a 4x12" stack for busking down corner of some street.. there's also no point buying a 15w portable acoustic amp for a live rock'n'roll performance in a club... Marshall have always been associated with the heavier stuff.. but I've heard good things about Krank..

I own Fenders because I like clean, bluesy tones and that's what Fender amps do the best job at doing. I have a 120w 2x10" stereo chorus amp, and also a smaller 65w 12" DSP amp.. I use the 65w more these days because the gigs I do don't require anything bigger than that.. The 120w amp is just so heavy and cumbersome..not to mention loud.. but the 65w 12" is still to loud to be honest.. I barely even scratch 2 on the volume dial when I am performing.

Seriously.. it's like buying anything.. first you need to know what you want/need it to do.. then you can start to look. If you have already done that and are down to just two choices, take a band member with you to a store with the amps and have a play. The band member will be honest with you and tell you if they suck, or are too big, or whatever.. well they should, if they are being honest and helpful.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog