Looking at getting a new amp

Ragn4rok234
Ragn4rok234
03/12/2008 3:21 pm
currently i have an MG100HDFX Marshall half-stack, it is an amazing amp but i am playing out a lot more and would like to get a better quality amp. Two choices i have been looking at are 1: Krank Revolution + (or whatever that new one is Rev1+ ) and 2: Marshall JVM 410. I love tube amps so and have played both of these amps and like them alot, so i don't quite know which one to pick. Also if you have any suggestions for other amps that may be good for me I'll consider those as well. My band's myspace is in my Sig, if you want to listen to what we sound like (just demos though, 5 songs in 12 hours...) We are Metalcore/Progressive i guess if knowing my style helps pick out an amp... so ya what do you think?
# 1
Ragn4rok234
Ragn4rok234
03/13/2008 3:03 pm
nobody knows anything about any good performance amps that would work for my style?? Or at least some good information to help me decide?
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/14/2008 9:46 am
Never heard of those amps - for tube I would go with the old reliable JCM 800. Either that or a Mesa Boogie Triaxis with a poweramp (Mesa 2:90 is ideal but any other will work too) through a cab.
# 3
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/14/2008 11:44 am
Here's what you need to do:
1. Work out the specs of what you need.
2. Go and play the amps.
3. Buy the amp.

The most important part is #1. You need to know what you want the amp for.. there's no point getting a huge 150w tube head with a 4x12" stack for busking down corner of some street.. there's also no point buying a 15w portable acoustic amp for a live rock'n'roll performance in a club... Marshall have always been associated with the heavier stuff.. but I've heard good things about Krank..

I own Fenders because I like clean, bluesy tones and that's what Fender amps do the best job at doing. I have a 120w 2x10" stereo chorus amp, and also a smaller 65w 12" DSP amp.. I use the 65w more these days because the gigs I do don't require anything bigger than that.. The 120w amp is just so heavy and cumbersome..not to mention loud.. but the 65w 12" is still to loud to be honest.. I barely even scratch 2 on the volume dial when I am performing.

Seriously.. it's like buying anything.. first you need to know what you want/need it to do.. then you can start to look. If you have already done that and are down to just two choices, take a band member with you to a store with the amps and have a play. The band member will be honest with you and tell you if they suck, or are too big, or whatever.. well they should, if they are being honest and helpful.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 4
Ragn4rok234
Ragn4rok234
03/18/2008 10:23 pm
Thanks for the info, it is helpful and im gonna be using the idea of taking a band member to the store. seriously i like the sound of both amps a lot so a trust-able second opinion is a great idea (im bad at thinking of simple things like that...) Thanks again :D
# 5
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
03/23/2008 3:46 pm
the krank rev 1 is an amazing amp for very heavy tones, they are perfect for metal, they also have a very good clean channel that you can still slightly distort for some cool tones its one of my favorite amps but sadly too expensive for me. The jvm is great for a hard rock/classic rock tone and will get you as far as a heavy tone but not as far as the rev1, at least by itself. overall both amps have good clean channels but the jvm is better for more hard rock tones and the rev1 is better for crushing metal tones. If your looking for the hardcore metal tones you might also look at the krankenstein+ or a mesa/boogie triple rectifier. If your looking for the rock tones Marshall's are great and you might want to look at a jcm2000. By the price of the two amps ur comparing it looks like this amp might be one your planning to keep for awhile so be sure to do as much research as possible and try out as many different amps as you can.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.