View post (subtle delays)

View thread

PValenti
PValenti
04/10/2008 4:08 pm
Dude...I'm talking about Nashville and LA not some back-water home studio BS!

Before you go blowing smoke up people's (you know what's) maybe you should spend some time in a REAL recording studio.

You are speaking in abstracts and not specifics. Abstractly no way of recording is wrong and anything you do might work great...in fact it might work so well that it becomes the NORM. However speaking from PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE...the way you said it is not strictly how it works in the pro recording studio.

I had a listen and YES...you can play and YES it IS good. However it's all heavy stuff with a Satriani/Vai sort of vibe. Not a bad thing at all. However...you are also in the realm that MOST new guitarists are in and speaking abstractly (in defference to you) a major portion of those guys don't have the slightest idea of how to get TONE...regardless of how great a player they are.

Real tone-mongers use more than 1 position on the pickup switch and use more sounds than just heavy distortion/sustain. I'm not slamming you or your ideas...just saying that what you said is not the norm in a professional recording environment.

Having said that...you should look up some of the rants of studio engineers when it comes to guitarists and their 'effects/tone'. For instance, during the recording of one of Metallica's albums the engineer said that he had to literally HIDE the lead player's wah-wah pedal because he wanted to use it on EVERY song. Now if they were adding stuff after the fact he wouldn't have had to do that now would he? There is an example of an absolutely KILLER guitarist who has no real idea how to get a good tone. However, he's sold FAR more albums than I could ever hope to...so who's wrong really?

I'm just saying that your statement isn't really how it's done in the world of professional recording studios...however...as I've pointed out there are many recording engineers who would prefer it that way. In fact...they are sometimes prone to bullying the guitarist into doing it their way. However...no recording engineer anywhere will balk at a guitarist who has great tone.

The ONLY exception that I've seen to this rule is the addition of delay on a guitar solo track. Occassionally I have seen the recording engineer take a send before the time-based effects. This way the guitarist gets to hear his solo sound the way he likes it and the engineer gets an un-delayed (however not dry) signal. Perhaps this is what you are talking about?
Sincerely,

Paul Valenti - Guitar/Vocals - RiverGard
www.RiverGard.com
www.myspace.com/RiverGard