Where on the neck to play??

jsquiers
jsquiers
02/28/2008 3:11 pm
I'm a little confused about when to play notes further down on the neck (like 6-11 frets). I had originally thought it was when you were going to be playing higher notes on the high e string, so you were already down there anyway.

However, I happen to catch a guitar show on t.v. where a guy was showing how to play a Hendrix song and he said something like, "this song is in b minor, so we'll play down at the 7th fret" (I'm not sure that's the exact quote or key, as it threw me off). I think he was actually barring the 7th fret.

Now my understanding is that b minor key would mean our scale of notes starts at b and the "minor" part tells us the pattern of whole or half steps we move up to get the rest of the notes in the scale. But can't all of these notes still be found at the top of the neck (frets 1-4)?

I'm confused -- please help me understand.

thanks,
Jeremy
J Squiers
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/28/2008 3:44 pm
Originally Posted by: jsquiersNow my understanding is that b minor key would mean our scale of notes starts at b and the "minor" part tells us the pattern of whole or half steps we move up to get the rest of the notes in the scale. But can't all of these notes still be found at the top of the neck (frets 1-4)?

Yes, you are right. To say a song in "in the key of B minor" means that you can start on any B and apply the minor scale forumla. Then you would arrive at the notes that form the B minor scale:

B (1) - C# (2) - D (min3) - E (4) - F# (5) - G (min6) - A (min7)

However, at that point all you have is a list of notes. Now, you have to actually find a place to play those notes on the fretboard. Many guitarists use the E string as the default location for doing this. It just so happens that the note B is on the 7th fret of the E string. So, from a guitarist point of view, it is convenient to start there.

As you pointed out, the notes of B minor do extend all over the fretboard. But we have to have some kind of handy reference point or visual guide in order to physically apply the conceptual theory of "the B minor scale" to the guitar.

So, you don't have to start on the 7th fret, but you can. And it is frequently convenient to do so. Make sense?
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jsquiers
jsquiers
02/28/2008 4:17 pm
That makes perfect sense. This grasshopper has much to learn. I'm grateful, thanks.
J Squiers
# 3
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
02/28/2008 6:19 pm
and to answer you question on when do you play the notes in frets 6-11, when ever you want to. if you dont want to dont. but keep in mind that as you get better at playing you might just come to see that those upper fret can give you more flexability in you creations and tone.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.