Pickup Choice

Ragn4rok234
Ragn4rok234
02/26/2008 4:15 pm
I just bought an Ibanez S470DXQM and it is an amazing guitar, the pickups are nice even for stock pickups but, I'm looking to get some new pickups. I've been looking at EMGs but don't quite know. I'm in a metalcore/progressive band and our Myspace is in my signature if you want to hear what we sound like to help me decide (or just to look).
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/26/2008 11:30 pm
I've always advocated Dimarzio Evolutions - even more so now. My 7 string Ibanez Universe arrived today - I had it customised with Evolution 7's. Best decision I've ever made. They rip all of the other pickups I have apart - very tight and damn heavy for chugging riffs plus they burn like crazy for ripping leads. I've used Evolutions in gutar shops and its always hard to know what they really sound like because of the different gear setups and the fact that you can't really let loose in a shop full of people. I've just shreded the neck senseless for the past 3 hours (the longest session I've had in about 3 years cos of babies) and I can safely say these beat the hell out of Dimarzio Breeds, EMG ZW (81 - 85), Dimarzio Petrucci sigs and everything else I've ever owned. Highly recommended for 6 and 7 string electrics!!
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
02/26/2008 11:49 pm
I recently slapped a Seymour Duncan Blackout active pickup in the bridge position of my Ibanez RG570 and love it.....a bit more output than the EMG's, quieter, and the tone is more "focused", if that makes any sense...

I at least recommend checking 'em out..
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
02/28/2008 10:18 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanI've always advocated Dimarzio Evolutions - even more so now. My 7 string Ibanez Universe arrived today - I had it customised with Evolution 7's. Best decision I've ever made. They rip all of the other pickups I have apart - very tight and damn heavy for chugging riffs plus they burn like crazy for ripping leads. I've used Evolutions in gutar shops and its always hard to know what they really sound like because of the different gear setups and the fact that you can't really let loose in a shop full of people. I've just shreded the neck senseless for the past 3 hours (the longest session I've had in about 3 years cos of babies) and I can safely say these beat the hell out of Dimarzio Breeds, EMG ZW (81 - 85), Dimarzio Petrucci sigs and everything else I've ever owned. Highly recommended for 6 and 7 string electrics!!

My friend just got a New Jem 6 string with the Dimarzio Evolution pickups and I was really impressed. I am considering getting rid of a couple of guitars and getting a Jem now. But If I have to go the cheaper route I will be adding some Evolution pickups to one of my guitars for sure. I recently put in a set of Dimarzio D Activators in a Fender Strat and they sound pretty darn good but I was more impressed with the Evolutions.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.