View post (Song Structure)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
02/28/2008 2:48 am
Originally Posted by: BrokenJeraim not sure but any time i have tried to write lyrics out before i have a melody or even a beat it never works for me.

if i try to write lyrics i usually start with an idea (like mega deth did with peace sells) and go from there.

the last 'song i tried' to write was called how i look to them. i wrote it in part when i was in high school and the rest later but here is the chours:

i wonder how i look to them
the posters on my wall
all my heros, paving the way
will they come to my day

i was smoking about $50 of weed a day at the time so go easy.

haha, thats a lot, or you were getting ripped off.

It's hard to judge lyrics from just reading them they might work in the song you wrote just cause. They don't really make sense grammatically but that never killed anyone, the last line is really the only one that may need to change. Honestly though if you can't hear them or understand them in the song anything is fine. A lot of the time I write lyrics for music by just recording myself making noises and then go back in and fit words in their place.

I don't know about song structure though recently I have been messing with a verse verse verse, sorta structure, mostly just cause I am playing with super repetitive riffs that play throughout the entire song and there will literally be only four bars repeated for a couple minutes. But when I am not doing that I am trying to write more progressive stuff, so stuff that is much more symphonic and has sections and such but not really verses and choruses and bridges. There is no right way, just whatever sounds right to you.