Band Issues

holy diver
holy diver
02/16/2008 11:47 pm
Right, I have a slight problem in my current band situation; I'm with a few guys that I realy get on with and enjoy playing with, but nothing's happening.
We've had about 2 practises in as many months and are making virtually no progression at all.
Since our last band split up last october, our current group haven't played any gigs and we don't really have any fully completed material.
I'm getting a bit fed up with the current situation and want to seek a solution, the only problem is that I don't really want to leave the current group for a number of reasons- I like the guys; I wouldn't want to make social life with them difficult; when we actually do anything I do enjoy it, and on top of that, there are very few musicians in my area, and the majority of them are currently in a band, meaning that it would make it very difficult for me to get anything sorted.

I was wondering if anybody had expereinced this situtation and how best to resolve it without kicking people out (the drummer is particularly bad in terms of commitment, as is the bass player to a certain extent, meaning half the band provide a problem,) as I have brought up the issue and nothing's changed.
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2008 12:49 am
There isn't really solution a except the obvious one. You have to decide between the music and your friends.
If you aren't happy with your situation where you are, move into a city where you can find musicians you can play with.

Hate to say it, but your friends aren't going to change. It sounds like they're just in it for the fun. And 2 rehearsals a month is useless. You should be rehearsing at least 3 times a week, and recording the sessions so you can rehearse on your own time as well.
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/17/2008 5:31 am
Yeah. The main thing that caught my eye was "2 practices in as many months." Of course you're not gonna make any progress with a routine like that. When I had a band, we practiced twice a week, and it was still an uphill battle to make progress. Once a month just isn't enough. I know it can be tough to find the time, but you're never going to be anything but a bunch of friends who jam together if you practice only once a month.
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2008 9:21 am
God...even 3 times a week wasn't enough for us.
You really needed to practice every night and go through your whole set as if you were playing live.
You need to get not just the songs down pat, but the talking in between the songs and being able to quickly switch from one song to the next.
Plus you have to time your whole night so it fits into the schedule properly.

If we just missed a week, we sounded like crap.
# 4
holy diver
holy diver
02/17/2008 8:47 pm
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorYou have to decide between the music and your friends.
If you aren't happy with your situation where you are, move into a city where you can find musicians you can play with.

Cheers, it was pretty obvious anyway I suppose, I guess I was just trying to avoid it but I really have had enough of f**king around, thanks for the advice!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.