Peavy

stevewoj
stevewoj
11/08/2001 7:30 am
Guys i just need some quick help as i might be purchasing a peavy bandit off a friend, what are they like?? are they worth buying?
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/10/2001 10:11 pm
Well, in my experience Peavey solid state amps sound like crap, but won't die. Ever.

If I were you I'd look around and see if you couldn't get a small tube amp for the same price or maybe a little more.

The only Peavey amps that I've seen tend to have any sort of problem are the TNT and TKO bass amps.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
GossamerOR
GossamerOR
11/20/2001 4:36 pm
If you're looking for a small, portable pretty loud practice amp this is your bad boy. Raskolnikov is right about the sound, IF you're using the distortion. For a clean amp, this will work well for you, and be very reliable.

If you do need distortion, I would recommend you by one of those handy pedals that have a tube built in. This will give you a warmer sound, and will cost WAAAYYY less than getting a legit tube amp, or even a modelling amp.

Of course, this is all with the idea in mind of a small, portable, and cost effective rig. If you need something that will work in clubs and such, your going to want to go bigger than a Bandit. If $$ isn't a big issue, you can get much better sound and more versatility by going with say a Line 6 modeling amp.
# 3
trebledamage
trebledamage
11/24/2001 10:50 pm
I owned a Bandit 75 way back when the first came out. All the above criticism is pretty fair. The Bandit sounded like crap as compared to many quality practice amps, but you could drop the thing off of a truck and it would still work (of course, "working" meant that it sounded like crap which was it's fatal flaw). The Bandit also had very little power and you should erase the thought of gigging with this amp out of your head. For the money that you would spend to get a Peavy Bandit, you should look into buying a small tube amp. Fender, Mesa Boogie, and even Peavy have been known to put out some nice ones. You would probably pay more than you would for the Bandit, but if you are planning on using the amp for a long time, it is a worthwhile investment. My advice would be to get one with a really nice clean channel, reverb, and no other bells and whistles such as Chorus, Distortion, etc... You can always add effects once you have a decent clean sounding amp.
:cool:
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.