View post (slash or hendrix)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
03/23/2008 11:29 pm
Can someone please tell me what the big deal about slash is? Honestly I don't see it. He was a pretty straight up rock guitarist. Yeah he is pretty good at playing but I personally have never heard him do anything incredibly impressive (compared to most of the virtuoso players out there) and as far as I can tell he never did anything that groundbreaking. I think GNR is a really solid rock band but they never blew the top off anything innovation wise. The reasons they seem to have been popular originally are that Axle is crazy and slash wears a big hat and they were a badass straight forward rock band in a time when gaudy glam rock was king. They were the perfect alternative to all that crap for everyone who wasn't comfortable liking music made by guys dressed up like female hookers. Don't get me wrong I love Motely Crew videos, it doesn't get much better than that.

GNR was a great rock band and they wrote some pretty good songs, but Slash isn't (obviously) not that great when that particular chemistry isn't in play.

This has all been said I guess, but still. I don't get why I keep meeting people who think slash is a genius or deserves the same reverence as the true gods of music.