True or false about hendrix....

nathanael hale
nathanael hale
01/19/2008 7:50 am
I'm gonna make you think a bit on this question.....

He was a far better INNOVATOR and GROUNDBREAKER than he was a guitarist.
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/19/2008 8:26 am
Not really a question, but okay.

Ummm...not having grown up in the 60s, it's hard for me to offer an opinion. But I will anyway. I'm good like that.

I'd say it's kind of a moot question. Jimi was an amazing rock guitarist, and from all accounts I've heard (like I said, I am of a much later time period), the best rock guitarist at the time. If these accounts are true, you could say his groundbreakingness is a product of his skill, and therefore the two can't really be separated.
# 2
Drew77
Drew77
01/19/2008 8:45 pm
Is Hendrix all anyone ever talks about in here? :P

But seriously, I kind of agree with earthman, the main reason he was "innovative" was that he was better than pretty much anyone else around at the time. Nothing I ever heard him play was really all that different from the blues rock that preceded it but he could play faster and was on drugs a lot so he had a tendency to play with the whammy bar. His sound was more distorted than most other people where playing with at the time which let him play faster and whatever. It really wasn't all that much about speed but the point is he was innovative in that he was one of the first really technical (not by today's standards but still) guitarist and was also a pretty good song writer.

I think a lot of it was timing too, as it normally is with legendary people. He exploded at just the right time and died before he could fizzle out.

There were arguably a lot more innovative bands and guitarist out there at the same time though. Hendrix's music isn't really all that relevant anymore, I mean he influenced probably all of rock but now that influence is mostly second generation or even third and the people who do have him as a major direct influence sound old and out of date. There were a lot of progressive and psychedelic groups from the late sixties who are just now or in the past 10-15 years becoming relevant to modern music, and guitarists who's playing can still inspire relevant modern music directly.

Hendrix was an innovator but like Earthman said it really isn't separable from his skill as a guitarist because what he was writing wasn't really all that ground breaking (in the context of history), it was mostly the way he played.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/20/2008 7:09 am
I'm a product of my time, but the fact remains that there are [u]no[/u] modern guitar players that give me the visceral emotional thrill that his music did. Hendrix was doing stuff that NObody else at the time could touch.

Today, even the best string-slingers you can name all sound at least a bit like somebody else. The scene is too crowded these days, and the listening public too fragmented, for anyone to even come close to his impact.

Yes, you did have to be there. :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
01/20/2008 6:24 pm
that's actually what I've always said. he's a great guitar player, but he was more innovative than anything
# 5
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/20/2008 7:11 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsI'm a product of my time, but the fact remains that there are [u]no[/u] modern guitar players that give me the visceral emotional thrill that his music did. Hendrix was doing stuff that NObody else at the time could touch.

Today, even the best string-slingers you can name all sound at least a bit like somebody else. The scene is too crowded these days, and the listening public too fragmented, for anyone to even come close to his impact.

Yes, you did have to be there. :p

I gotta go with LATS on this. He was innovative for the time but more so, he set the standard for guitar players since. Yup. You did have to be there. I was still just a kid when Jimi died but I do remember hearing "new" Hendrix songs when they were being played on the radio. He had an impact that is till being felt almost 40 years after his death.

That says something .
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 6
strat-man
strat-man
01/20/2008 8:06 pm
If you're in any doubt as to Hendrix's ability as a guitarist then i suggest you start reading up some of the biographies of other guitarists of his era; Eric Clapton, Pete Thownsend, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, all of these guys have claimed at one time or another that Hendrix was much better than they were, and some of them didn't wanted to perform on stage after him because they felt they couldn't match him (he supported the Who at a gig and Pete Townsend insisted they play before Hendrix, He was as good a guitarist as he was an innovator and groundbreaker, was he the best? nobody is the the best, all good guitarists strive to be better, but his playing still inspires guitarists today and i don't know of any guitarist that is still held in such high regard by so many, as Hendrix.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.