Music Appreciation

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/16/2008 9:14 am
Hey there everyone..

I've been meaning to do this for a while now but wasn't sure how well it would be received or whether it will work at all. What I wanted to do was, perhaps each week, post a short article on the appreciation of music. May be this could be something for the Newsletter forum, in any case the whole point of Music Appreciation is to learn how other people work their "magic".

When most people listen to a piece of music, they just get on board and enjoy the train ride to the end and then get off. This kind of listening can be referred to as Passive Listening because all you're doing is listening and not a lot more.. other than may be dancing or daydreaming. In Music Appreciation, as I understand it, what you need to do is Actively Listen to the music. Pick the music apart and find what makes it work..

What I wanted to do was present a particular artist or song for people to listen to and hopefully get something out of. I regularly post YouTube links and mention certain people that I've come across that sound like they have "something" worth listening to. My musical tastes are extremely broad and I tend not to be biased even when critiquing music I don't like, so I hope I can bring some new and fresh to the table each time. Rather than just posting a comment here and there in various different threads, I thought it might be a better idea to formalise it a little and sort the wheat from the chaff a little more. So rather than posting EVERY new thing I come across.. I will distil it down to just one a week.

It's not about promoting my favourites.. or promoting people at all for that matter.. it's about appreciating music in all its forms, even if you wouldn't normally listen to that style of music. However.. if it's not a good idea.. then I don't want to waste my time either.. Does anyone think that this would be a good thing to do?
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1

01/16/2008 12:13 pm
It sounds like an interesting read. I think it would be cool to add it to the newsletter.

We do need more articles and to my knowledge we never covered that subject.

If you can write one before the end of the month I'll see with the admin if we can add it to the newsletter.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.