New guy

spychocyco
spychocyco
01/15/2008 5:08 am
I'm new here, but I'm not new to playing guitar. I picked it up when I was a little kid watching my grandfather play and started playing more seriously when I was probably 15, about 20 years ago. Over the years, I've tried to take lessons, but run into road blocks. Asked for them when I was a kid, but my parents told me they were too expensive. I also asked for a Strat for Christmas for several years, and they finally relented when I was about 14 and bought me a $100 el cheapo guitar called a Memphis. In high school, I was told I was tone deaf. I admit I don't have the greatest ear in the world (maybe one too many metal shows next to the speakers :D ), but as it turns out, I wasn't completely tone deaf. I tried to take some guitar classes in college, but the professor took one look at my hands and told me they were too small and I'd never be able to play. So, most of what I know, I've learned by playing with friends and figuring out on my own over the years. Played in a couple of three-chord bar bands in college where I handled the three chords and let someone else do the heavy lifting.

Any way, there's a whole lot of stuff I don't know about guitar, even some basic stuff, but I gave up my rock star dreams a long, long time ago, and just enjoy playing for myself. So I was fine with that until Christmas. I'd lamented last year a few times to my wife the fact that I'd never owned a really good guitar, thinking that maybe fore Christmas I'd get that Strat that I've wanted for all these years. She did me one better. She custom ordered me an absolutely gorgeous Music Man Axis that's basically been my dream guitar since the first time I picked up an Axis in a local music store. So now, I figure I need to learn how to play well enough to be worthy of the guitar.

I don't really have time for in-person lessons because I work long hours and don't want to take time after that away from my family -- not to mention that I haven't had great experiences with in-person lessons. So I stumbled on GT, thought I'd sign up and check it out. See how much better I can actually get.

Oh, did I also mention that I can be a little long-winded? :D
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/15/2008 8:19 am
Originally Posted by: spychocycoI'm new here, but I'm not new to playing guitar. I picked it up when I was a little kid watching my grandfather play and started playing more seriously when I was probably 15, about 20 years ago. Over the years, I've tried to take lessons, but run into road blocks. Asked for them when I was a kid, but my parents told me they were too expensive. I also asked for a Strat for Christmas for several years, and they finally relented when I was about 14 and bought me a $100 el cheapo guitar called a Memphis. In high school, I was told I was tone deaf. I admit I don't have the greatest ear in the world (maybe one too many metal shows next to the speakers ), but as it turns out, I wasn't completely tone deaf. I tried to take some guitar classes in college, but the professor took one look at my hands and told me they were too small and I'd never be able to play. So, most of what I know, I've learned by playing with friends and figuring out on my own over the years. Played in a couple of three-chord bar bands in college where I handled the three chords and let someone else do the heavy lifting.

Gawd.. I hate people that say things like that professor! I had a "friend" once, who had been through the musical career wringer more than once and he basically told me to forget about ever writing music.. if I hadn't started before I was 12, there was no hope for me.. WHAT RUBBISH!!!!! If you want to do something badly enough.. you can and will do it. There are plenty of smaller sized guitars around and for the most part, electric guitars can be played by any one except people with fat fingers.. like my dad.. but he prefers playing classical guitars anyway.. so it's all good... and even then I'm sure there are fat-finger electrics around.

Any way, there's a whole lot of stuff I don't know about guitar, even some basic stuff, but I gave up my rock star dreams a long, long time ago, and just enjoy playing for myself. So I was fine with that until Christmas. I'd lamented last year a few times to my wife the fact that I'd never owned a really good guitar, thinking that maybe fore Christmas I'd get that Strat that I've wanted for all these years. She did me one better. She custom ordered me an absolutely gorgeous Music Man Axis that's basically been my dream guitar since the first time I picked up an Axis in a local music store. So now, I figure I need to learn how to play well enough to be worthy of the guitar.

Uh oh.. :) Now you need to get good enough so your wife won't beat you up, and so you won't feel guilty for her spending that much. hehe..

I don't really have time for in-person lessons because I work long hours and don't want to take time after that away from my family -- not to mention that I haven't had great experiences with in-person lessons. So I stumbled on GT, thought I'd sign up and check it out. See how much better I can actually get.

Sounds like a plan... everyone I have spoken to, who started out on here, has had great success with it.. I think Jon Broderick (the owner) used to have, and still might have, a money-back guarantee.. If it's still in effect, then there's nothing really to lose.. and the price per month is less than you would pay for a 30min one-on-one lesson anyway. So even if the money-back thing isn't still valid anymore, it's not that much to pay.

Oh, did I also mention that I can be a little long-winded?

Don't worry.. if you see any of my posts around the place, you will see that I am as well.. it's a gift!! :)

You have included too many images in your signature or in your previous post. Please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

DOH.. Too much smiling..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.