View post (A word on islam)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
11/09/2001 12:48 am
I thought that in the twentieth century we had grown out of ideas about "conquering" land. Does this mean that Palestine have every right to continue to fight with Israel, because one day they might win and then they will have "conquered" Israel?
As for the "it's not like they were using it anyway" story, how do you know? Hundreds of places in Australia are seen as sacred sites by Aboriginal tribes, but becaus ethey didn't feel the need to build huge momuments like western cultures on sacred sites (why should they, after all the land is what is revered), settlers came here and declared the land "terra nullius", and decided that it wasn't being used. Also, by suggesting that Aboriginal tribes weren't "using" particular land, thus making it easy pickings, ignores the whole way in which nmadic people cultivate the environment, moving on to leave time for the land to grow back and replenish. I don't know anything about Native American cultures, so that is why I am referring to cultures of my country, but seeing as the things you said are often things said supporting England's colonisation of Australia, I believe I am right in making a comparison.
I have actually attempted to stay out of the debate about whether Palestine or Israel is in the "right", becaus I don't know enough (and don't pretend to) about the situation, but I simply think that saying "Isrrael are right so it doesn't matter how many Palestinians get killed" is an unattractive solution to a problem. Yes, Arafat is a hopeless leader, who I hope will lose power soon, but when both sides see themselves as retaliating against previous violence, something has to stop on both sides.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".