A good place to learn?

Tyler_5
Tyler_5
01/04/2008 3:02 am
I have had a Robson Electric Guitar

for two years and I still don't know much.
(I can't finger properly... or even play a chord... :( )

What's a good place to learn that doesn't cost much?
(Preferably free)
P.S: Yes I know www.guitartricks.com but I said Preferably free. If It's gonna cost money I might as well get real lessons in person, because you can't beat having someone right there you see your technique and help you.
# 1
Van1lla_Fac3
Van1lla_Fac3
01/04/2008 4:49 am
mm.. buy a book..

but for only $10.95 a month with anytime access to videos compared to $60 a month for 30 minutes a week.. i went with this.. big help too... and tomorrow i'm trying out as a guitarist in jazz band.. haven't even been playing for 10 days..

but i know i'm ready.. thanks to this place..

4000 tutorials..
and surely you have a friend to point out what you could be doing wrong..
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/04/2008 8:13 am
Hrmm.. well you're going to need to practise a reasonable amount regardless of which option you take. When I have tried to teach people how to play in the past, the main reason they don't learn anything is because they don't have the muscle memory and strength for it. So really.. you need to grab a chord chart and scales chart or something.. and try playing a few of them.. get good at changing between the different chords.. The E Major, A Major and D Major chords are a good starting point.

Try to practise for at least the same time, every day, that you would spend with your instructor if you chose to go that path.. That's about 30mins a day.. every day.. You really need to get those fingers all calloused up. :) Learn a couple of scales and stuff too of course. Anyway.. after a week or two (depending on how much you practised) you should be at a level that you can make a better assessment of what you really need.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
ren
ren
01/04/2008 11:10 am
I've never found anything really worthwhile that was free. You have to remember that to get something for nothing, someone somewhere would be getting nothing for something, and that's not fair is it?

Being a teacher, yeah - nothing beats a real teacher. However, the subscription fee for a month here would only buy you about 10 minutes of my time.

Are you still at school? Only asking because I started learning at school and that was free. At you stage of learning, I really would recommend a subscription here - give it a go and see what you see. I'll bet you pick up loads even in just a month, and if you don't you can always cancel. Here in the UK the money for a month sign up would just about buy me 2 cups of coffee... If you can find a teacher in your area, it could be worth having lessons to keep yourself motivated. After 22 years of playing I still take a lesson every two weeks - something to keep pushing me on.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
guitarpeach
guitarpeach
01/07/2008 3:29 am
I've went through a number of things to understand the basics such as chords. I've got to say for the price GT is by far the best. But if you cant afford it then thats understandable. When I first got my my guitar about a year ago I was told about Cyberfret.com, Its not near as good as this site but is the best free site I've ever been to it should have enough to teach you about some basics. Books are also a good choice, but I would say the best experience I've had was a guitar class i attended at a community college. I would look around for something like that but Cyberfret would hurt in the mean time.
# 5
Big Mouse
Big Mouse
01/08/2008 5:13 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to find this forum. I wish I knew about this site long a time ago. Well, I'm a beginner guitar player. I'm very excited; I'm taking my first guitar lesson tonight.

I want to ask all you guys who are experienced players about taking private guitar lessons.

How many in here actually took private guitar lessons? Did you enjoy it? Was it worth the amount of money you paid for for what you get out of it? The reason I ask is because I'm a little tight on budget right now but it's what I wanted to do a long time ago and don't want to wait any more. I want to be as good as I can as quickly as possible to save me some time and money.

Anyhow, how long did it take you to get where you wanted or get good at the guitar? Did you learn music theory/notations too, or not? What did you learn first, guitar techniques or guitar theory or both? Did you just learn one style of guitar playing or all styles? What would you do or recommend to a newbie like me to get the most out of private lessons? If you could go back in time, would you take private guitar lessons or would you not?

I apologized for asking so many unreasonable questions. I'm just very curious about something that I'm going to spend a lot of money on; and it's been so long that I haven't had any type of lessons. I took a short piano lesson a while back and I've been playing the piano for a little over a decade now and just wondering if it's any similar or different to piano lessons. And again I'm still very excite about my first guitar lesson tonight. Any advice or feedback would be much appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to read and anwer my questions. Have a great day. :D
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.