Common Songwriting Mistakes

ronbelluso
ronbelluso
12/29/2007 4:26 pm
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on common songwriting mistakes, it seems like the harder I try to write something, the worse it sound and the less inspired I become. I think with me the hardest part is creating melody lines that sound original. I have been experimenting with different chord structures with protools recording equipment. I did a general google search and came up with this good article but want to know if there is a goog book or DVD out there on the subject.

Smart Songwriting Tips- 8 Mistakes
# 1
oib111
oib111
12/29/2007 5:02 pm
Well, I'm awesome at poetry, writing in general. But lyrics are the toughest thing. If you're any good at poetry it helps. My lyrics aren't all that good, but they would totally suck if I didn't have poetry. Just keep working on them, try writing some good poetry and transform it into lyrics. Trust me, the long you write lyrics, the better you'll get, and the more meaningful they'll be. Until then, if you're lyrics totally suck, you can always do instrumentals.
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
12/29/2007 7:31 pm
"Songwriting for Dummies".. :) Seriously.. it's a good book.. I am reading it right now.. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
ronbelluso
ronbelluso
12/31/2007 2:37 am
nice, i thought about picking up the dummies book but didn't know if it was any good. Thanks for the tip.
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
12/31/2007 3:30 am
Prior to reading this book, I had been studying raw music theory.. very technical and analytical stuff.. on the other hand, the Songwriting for Dummies is the complete opposite of that. It's extremely non-technical, highly unassuming etc.. For example, the authors say that even though knowing how to play a musical instrument would be beneficial, it is not required to be able to write songs. Also the book is more geared towards writing a "Greatest Hit" rather than just writing any old song.. which is why I thought of this book in relation to your question.. It's more of a "things to do and things not to do" type book.

If you want to learn more of the music creation side of things than that is basically music theory then I really enjoyed "The Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory" for this, more technical, side of the songwriting process.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.