View post (Merry christmas)

View thread

earthman buck
earthman buck
12/29/2007 6:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Tonja_ReneeAs for the passages... just quoting one passage of scripture without reading the whole chapter is not a good idea. The bible is written in many parables, and pictures etc... It talks a lot about the bearing of fruit - which really has nothing to do with actual fruit... mostly its about the nourishment of God. And the bible says that if we don't get nourishment from God (spiritually) we won't bear fruit (I think this means goodness and kindess to others) and wither and become empty. I haven't read that whole chapter so I reserve the right to retract my interpretation, but I've seen those comparisons before in the Bible. You of all people Brendon I thought would be able to read into the metaphors..[/QUOTE]
Oh, I get them. That passage continues with Jesus saying something like "What I did to that tree is what'll eventually happen to you if you don't believe in me." I just find the idea of the "Prince of Peace" needlessly killing a living thing funny.

[QUOTE=Tonja_Renee]I just can't beleive that a new born baby just randomly evolved one day and survived into adulthood on this Earth... And you said I have faith.. I think to beleive that would require just as much faith.

It was a lot more gradual than that. It was more a matter of families of monkey-things gradually having children with an extra toe, or less hair, or whatever would adapt them better to their surroundings at the time (and by 'at the time' I mean a period of thousands of years).

Since we're getting more into this discussion, I might as well make a distinction that I believe is important - the difference between God and god. God is the Perfect Creator of The Universe, whereas god is the creator of the universe. This is why I said earlier I was an Atheist and not an atheist. While I still don't believe in god, I have no proof he doesn't exist, and therefore I remain neutral on the subject of his existence. I have to admit, the idea we were all created sounds as plausible as any other theory we've got (until you start asking questions like 'who created the creator?' but never mind that).

But I do not - cannot - believe in the existence of God, simply because of the idea God is Perfect. Rather than explain all this over again, I'll just link you up with my philosophy mid-term.