View post (Merry christmas)

View thread

earthman buck
earthman buck
12/28/2007 9:56 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesI agree with Tonja. Christianty is the most censored religion in the US. You quote things happening in the (public) schools that just aren't true. A Christian cannot wear a cross on the outside of their shirt, but you can wear a shulk and cross bones T-shirt. You will find books in the library on witchcraft and santic rituals, but you will not find the Bible (I'm sure this is not the case in all public schools).[/QUOTE]
You're right, it's not. I don't recall ever seeing any Satanic books in my school library, and I've looked, because that stuff interests me. There may have been one or two about occultism, but nothing pertaining to Satanism the way the Bible pertains to Christianity.There was a Bible prominently displayed in my English classroom every year of high school, and I went to a public school. It never came out in class, but we were welcome to read it if we had some free time, just like we were with any other book.

As for the cross thing, I've never heard anyone asked to "tuck it in." We were asked to turn our shirts inside out if they were deemed inappropriate (generally depicting alcohol), but crosses were just fine.

...and I just plain don't know what a shulk is.

Originally Posted by: looneytunesIf the government says you cannot have more than one child per couple under threat of going to prison, are they right? Right and wrong is found in the Bible, God's word, and when people (who God has given free will) errors, does not make the Bible or religion false, outdated, etc.[/QUOTE]
Keep in mind you're saying that from a tremendously Christian point of view. There are tons of passages in the Bible that I think even most believers would agree are hilariously outdated and have nothing to do with right or wrong. An example: [QUOTE=King James Bible, Deuteronomy 25:5-10]If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her. And it shall be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel. And if the man like not to take his brother's wife, then let his brother's wife go up to the gate unto the elders, and say, My husband's brother refuseth to raise up unto his brother a name in Israel, he will not perform the duty of my husband's brother. Then the elders of his city shall call him, and speak unto him: and if he stand to it, and say, I like not to take her; Then shall his brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders, and loose his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face, and shall answer and say, So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his brother's house. And his name shall be called in Israel, The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.

Is it right, then, that this is the case? How about the passage that says that if a woman bears a male child, she is "unclean" for seven days, but bearing a female child makes her "unclean" for two weeks (Leviticus 12:2-5)? Is that right?

[QUOTE=looneytunes]I personally believe when someone states they are an athesist, they just don't want anyone pointing the finger and stating that what they are doing is wrong. Yet most of the time they really know they are doing wrong and that is why they are so quick to anger.

I state I am an atheist because I don't believe in God. I find most of what Jesus taught to be good advice, and yes, for the most part I even follow it. But I see no proof of a Perfect Entity ruling the universe, and even less proof that the Bible is what is right. And so I must declare myself an atheist. You don't need to be religious to have morals, you know.

And what's all this about being "quick to anger?" Are you saying all atheists are intrinsically "quick to anger?" How so?