View post (Merry christmas)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
12/27/2007 12:56 pm
The holiday Thanksgiving is a national holiday for "giving thanks" or gratitude to God! If you are not thanking God, who are you thanking? Did the pilgrims thank the captain of the ship? I'm sure they did, but I don't think they gave a big feast in his honor. Maybe the ocean? Or did they just say "Thank, (whoever), we made it?" Maybe they gave thanks to themselves? I'm trying to understand!

Actually most of our national holidays, although they have ventured far from it's origin including Thanksgiving, is based on religion. And most were not declared national holidays until the 1950's. Does this mean nobody celebrated these holidays until the government declared them national holidays? Of course not! This is why I don't believe the government should proclaim a national holiday. These holidays should be kept religious and celebrated by those of that faith. I enjoy having the time off from work, etc., but religion is a personal thing and holidays should be celebrated by those of that faith and after work or those people can decide to take off from work those days without pay. Giving everyone the day off with pay (a free day as someone stated earlier), takes away the true meaning of any holiday. Those who are not of that faith should not be celebrating those holidays and they should be celebrating the holidays of their faith. And if they don't have any religious believes, then they should not be celebrating any holiday, not even "All Hallows Eve" (Halloween, the Eve of All Saints Day). Halloween is not a national holiday, but most celebrate it without even knowing what it is. I hope I clearly explained myself without ruffling too many feathers.

I appreicate everyone's responses, but nobody has answered any of my questions. I am trying to understand, but it is hard without some feedback. Anyway, I think too much time has been spent on this, so I'm moving on. Let's get back to guitar stuff.

P.S. I wished everyone I have contact with a "Merry CHRISTmas" and I know of no one being offended. Check out www.benstein.com

Thanks,