Oh the pain!

Shoeless
Shoeless
12/14/2007 9:38 pm
Hey there, first time poster. I didn't see any sort of health and wellness section and I hope this isn't something discussed before.

I've played for about 15 years, never had a lesson. (I'm a drummer convert)

About 2 months ago I decided I may want to start looking into open mic type stuff, fashioned a strap and, get this, STOOD UP to play for the very first time.

Since then I have developed a terrible cramp in the meaty part of my thumb on my left hand (I'm right-handed). Its the part of my thumb that is part of my palm. I've tried to relax my grip, reposition my thumb, or just try to muscle through the pain. This leads to my upper forearm to become tingly.

So my question is, what is proper technique? Usually my thumb is either sticking straight up or flat against the back of the neck pointing towards the tuning pegs.

I know I should consult an instructor, just wondering if someone could explain where the tumb goes, again this only began when I attempted to stand up.

Sorry if this has been discussed to death. Thanks
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
12/15/2007 7:08 pm
Well the first thing to do is NOT muscle through the pain. If you start feeling pain, stop before you make it worse. How do you hold the guitar when you sit down; resting on your left or right leg? If you rest it on your right, standing up will be way different since the neck is further away from you and you have to bend your wrist more. It just takes some getting used to. There is no one right place to have your thumb, its just what feels comfortable to you. Generally you either want to have it in the middle of the neck or higher. If you have longer fingers, go higher on the neck, but if you have shorter fingers, you may not have the reach.

The lower your thumb goes, the more you have to bend your wrist, and the more stain you put on those thumb/palm muscles. I've noticed this problem too, and for me its the fact that I have shorter fingers, so I really have to bend my wrist to play.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.