Looking for thoughts and feedback

333maxwell
333maxwell
12/11/2007 8:45 pm
I came hear to look for thoughts on my own music, but I see Frank Axtel is in this forum, do check out his stuff if you haven't, he creates wonderful prouctions.

This is one I did on a late night musical binge, it is rough around the edges but is up to 'scratch pad' quality.

I am looking for thoughts, no so much on mix and structure, but more on if the song works for you or not. (I have very thick skin and am looking for honest thoughts, go ahead and don't be gentle).

I played (wrangled/manipulated) everything you hear, Strat, Sax, Seymour Duncan Twin tube direct to computer, VST ORgan, 1897 Steinway Piano soundfont, one hit samples from a 1957 trap kit, AKG EB 452 mic, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 software, laptop.

Kiss You
lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6029937&q=lo
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6029937&q=hi

Thanks for any thoughts on if the song perks up your ears, or makes you want to shudder in horror (my stuff can easily go either way).

333maxwell
http://soundclick.com/333maxwell
# 1
looneytunes
looneytunes
12/12/2007 12:47 pm
Mr. 333Maxwell,

You asked for it! The song entitled ā€œKiss Youā€ sounded terrible. I donā€™t know if it was the recording equipment or what, but the sax (if it was a sax) sounded bad. It sounded jerky. I really couldnā€™t get into the song, because of the sax.

I listened to a few of your other songs. The ā€œThe Leads & Lags of Elevatorā€ was great elevator music! I couldnā€™t get through this one without falling asleep.

The ā€œChristmas Timeā€ song was for the Dinerā€™s Club, you know something to listen to while eating. This may be the sound you were after. Sort of Mel Tormish.

I had to check out anything with the title ā€œTrainā€. I basically liked this one, but found the tempo a little slow. Most of the time I favor an acoustic over an electric, but thatā€™s just me. I think this one would be a pretty good song if it were just a notch faster.

I donā€™t know. Your songs just didnā€™t sound right. It may be the recording equipment. I just donā€™t know.

Sorry,
# 2
333maxwell
333maxwell
12/12/2007 6:31 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesMr. 333Maxwell,

I donā€™t know. Your songs just didnā€™t sound right. It may be the recording equipment. I just donā€™t know.

Sorry,

Nothing to be sorry about my friend.. a man asks for an opinion, a man gets an opinion.. I really appreciate your taking the time and giving me your ear!

Thanks!
# 3
Spedzar
Spedzar
12/14/2007 9:42 pm
Hi 333maxwell,

Kiss You had an interesting feel to it. Sort of drunken if you dont mind me saying. The little ascending hook just before the sung chorus section was reminiscent in some way (for me) of The Pink Panther theme main hook crossed with parts of the theme from Maxwell Smart. The lyrics were kind of cool although very simple. I didn't really click with your lead guitar sound - were you just playing on the bridge pickup of the strat? It sounded a little thin to me or something. The playing was OK - obviously very much improvised in sections - parts of the lead guitar playing and horn lines sounded more like a bunch of muso's who are more into rock/shred but took some valium and then drank half a bottle of whiskey and went crazy slurring notes all over the place - it wasn't exactly "jazz" improv in the traditional sense (if there is one - and I don't mean to upset anyone with such a generalisation) if you know what I mean...

My only real criticism is that in sections you seem to be very much in competition with the horns. My opinion - The guitar needs to take more of a comping role when the horns are blowing their solos and they should add some flavour and some more appropriate stabs when the guitar is blowing. Then both regather with more tightness during the hook. Anyway, that's my little say - but I enjoyed listening to your song so thanks - and Merry Christmas.
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 4
333maxwell
333maxwell
12/14/2007 11:56 pm
Originally Posted by: SpedzarHi 333maxwell,

Kiss You had an interesting feel to it. Sort of drunken if you dont mind me saying. The little ascending hook just before the sung chorus section was reminiscent in some way (for me) of The Pink Panther theme main hook crossed with parts of the theme from Maxwell Smart. The lyrics were kind of cool although very simple. I didn't really click with your lead guitar sound - were you just playing on the bridge pickup of the strat? It sounded a little thin to me or something. The playing was OK - obviously very much improvised in sections - parts of the lead guitar playing and horn lines sounded more like a bunch of muso's who are more into rock/shred but took some valium and then drank half a bottle of whiskey and went crazy slurring notes all over the place - it wasn't exactly "jazz" improv in the traditional sense (if there is one - and I don't mean to upset anyone with such a generalisation) if you know what I mean...

My only real criticism is that in sections you seem to be very much in competition with the horns. My opinion - The guitar needs to take more of a comping role when the horns are blowing their solos and they should add some flavour and some more appropriate stabs when the guitar is blowing. Then both regather with more tightness during the hook. Anyway, that's my little say - but I enjoyed listening to your song so thanks - and Merry Christmas.

Your very insightful actualy..
At the risk of ruining my reputation let me toss a bit of what was going on the night I recorded this song..

I had worked out the Drum/Bass/Organ parts the night before.. then I started work on the guitars/horns and vocals the next night. I laid down the horn part and originaly had no intention of putting guitar in it. But I live in apts and at 10 PM I had to shut down playing horn, and at that point it was very much unfinished. So I (and yes, drunken improv would be correct.. thats what was going on).. picked up the guitar and plugged it directly into a Seymour Duncan Twin tube (distortion stomp box) and ran that directly into the computer).. and it WAS a Strat and a bridge pickup.. but it is a stacked humbucker (in a single slot of course) but tapped so it was a single coil but a but more "thin" than a normal single. The neck and middle pups just didn't mesh with the horn. I soon realized the horn was blending in with the guitar.. being deaf in one ear I have an awfuly hard time mixing, so I just went with it.. at one point I thought 'the sax and guitar sound like they are making out' hence the 'kiss you' lyrics.. thats what inspired them.

So, (and you are one a bazillion people who told me it didn't work for them) I ntentionaly wanted the horn and guitar to be hard to distinguish one from the other.. apparently it worked but not to everyones liking.

When it came time for the lyrics it was maybe 4am.. the wife and kids were in bed, I wanted to cut lyrics in a small apt.. so that is why they are almost whispered.. *not to mention you can hear me totaly forgeting the very simple lyrics in the third time around*...

After the vocals my laptop told me I had less than 150 MB's of hard drive space.. so all mixing and other tracks were now out of the question as it was going to take about a 100 mb to convert it to wav and MP3 (I was so low on hard drive space it took almost an hour to convert it to a .wav instead of the usual 45 second) .. by 6 am I was very tired and I realized this was going to be a bit unique and may not fly with everyone, but WARTS and all I decided to mix it into a wav. and share it in a few forums. I actualy came to this forum as in my 'regular forums' people were bsing too nice because they like me.. so I was looking for a bit more non biased ears...

A few days later when I recorvered more HD space I was re-mixing it and it hit me *BAMMO*... I could clean it up and fix it, but the song it's self was an exact representation fo the state of mind I was in when I recorded it.. so I left well enough alone and actualy have became quite fond of the song.. what used to bug me (a few timing issues especialy) I now have come to look forward to hearing now that I am used to them.. *L*..

So there ya have it.. your observations were mostly all spot on.. right down to the pink panther as I got the same vibe (by accident) myself when I started cutting the guitar harmonys where the sax I couldn't blow late at night should of been.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback and hope I didn't bore you with the story of the song..

Appreciate your ear and time!
# 5
jasonggabbott
jasonggabbott
12/15/2007 4:47 pm
what do people think ?? They will hear a perfect finished song??
You got a song there! I like....
If it was perfect it would be on the radio, keep it up!!
# 6
333maxwell
333maxwell
12/15/2007 9:07 pm
Originally Posted by: jasonggabbottwhat do people think ?? They will hear a perfect finished song??
You got a song there! I like....
If it was perfect it would be on the radio, keep it up!!

Thanks for your time Jason..

I like to think of the tunes I share on the internet, more like diary entrys, rather than finished works.

Appreciate your feedback.
# 7
Spedzar
Spedzar
12/16/2007 9:12 am
LOL cool 333Maxwell, I wasn't bored by the story. I assume most of the people here at GT are not rock stars nor have the luxury of nothing but music going on around them (except for maybe a the lucky few). As for me I'm moving to another state at the moment and have all the concerns of partner and kids moving as well - don't mention Christmas. Yeah sure things we post are rough and most people will get the feel of what you do if nothing more - you ask and people will be honest. I certainly didn't dislike your composition but obviously things I mentioned you connected with as aspects you had thought about in terms of improving your song. Keep posting and I will listen when I get a chance and give some feedback - hopefully you might do the same for me when I get off my lazy butt and put some more stuff up. Cheers.
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 8
333maxwell
333maxwell
12/17/2007 8:56 pm
Originally Posted by: SpedzarLOL cool 333Maxwell, I wasn't bored by the story. I assume most of the people here at GT are not rock stars nor have the luxury of nothing but music going on around them (except for maybe a the lucky few). As for me I'm moving to another state at the moment and have all the concerns of partner and kids moving as well - don't mention Christmas. Yeah sure things we post are rough and most people will get the feel of what you do if nothing more - you ask and people will be honest. I certainly didn't dislike your composition but obviously things I mentioned you connected with as aspects you had thought about in terms of improving your song. Keep posting and I will listen when I get a chance and give some feedback - hopefully you might do the same for me when I get off my lazy butt and put some more stuff up. Cheers.

Anytime my friend, is there a place I can hear some of your old stuff?
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.