What would you do if your plug was pulled?

Joseph
Joseph
10/31/2001 9:09 pm
Courtney's plug pulled

AN out-of-control Courtney Love had to be hauled off the stage at the Hollywood Bowl last Saturday night. Love, the opening act for Jane's Addiction, laced into Addiction frontman Perry Farrell after her set was cut short. The squabble started when a stagehand cautioned Courtney about the length of her set. She growled, "Tell Perry three more or we're leaving," according to nme.com. After one song, the crew turned off her sound and lights. As the band's equipment was being hauled off, Love stomped off stage and returned with a hand-lettered cardboard sign protesting the plug-pulling. She left and came back again with an acoustic guitar. The stand-off ended when one fed-up stagehand yanked the guitar, and a second man carried her off stage to audience cheers. A few nights before, when Love played L.A.'s Ventura Theater, she opened with a tirade against Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst, and later debuted a song about Julian Casablancas, the mop-topped singer for New York rockers The Strokes.

I'm sure we've all had some unpleasant experiences over the past few years, playing in and out of clubs, but have you ever felt outraged because your time was cut short one night during a gig? And did you ever show it? Although, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to get away with it quite like Miss Love. :rolleyes:

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1

11/01/2001 3:20 am
I just wanna know how you got that awesome happy face playing the guitar in your signature...
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
11/01/2001 4:30 am
Go here...

Now answer the question, dude!!!

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 3

11/01/2001 5:09 pm
I dunno... I think there's something romantic about staying on stage after you're told to get off, simply because you're so into music and the crowd is so into you- but, staying to the point where you have to be dragged off kicking and screaming like a spoiled little girl isn't cool at all. That's simply making a spectacle of yourself.
# 4
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/08/2001 8:32 pm
If the crowd were on my side then, yea - I'd stay and run into someone elses set a little. If the support wasn't there though, then it's probably better to keep your dignity and leave gracefully. On top of that, if you're an opening act, then the focus really shouldn't be on you at all - if you can't realise that, then I don't believe you have much chance of staying said opening act for much longer...
It's about mutual respect I guess - you've gotta have respect for the people after you, enough to give them their moment, having said that, they need to respect you enough to say "Hey, the crowds into this, leave them there another few songs..."
Just my take on things
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/10/2001 3:41 am
Well, my band has been cut short for many assorted reasons. It's never fun. We were once cut off at a party so somebody could put on a Sublime CD. That night we decided to party with them. Later there was a bit of a jam session, and after it was all done, I had to stop my drummer from stealing a Laser Tag set (he was pretty upset... and drunk).

Another time, at what I've come to call "The Gig From Hell," we were cut short (after being told we could have two full sets) so a band who showed up late could go on. We were told "Ten minutes." We said, "Ok, we'll do three more songs, then we're off." Those three songs were concluded with our medley... Got to see the woman who "organized" the show run around a lot... arms flapping, flashing the stage lights, and gesturing like mad while we finished our set with the sort of climax we had intended.

You really have to play it by ear when it comes to being cut off. Sometimes you should riot, sometimes you should quietly pack up. Read the crowd, consider who's running the show, and of course the eternal question: "Do we ever want to play here again?"
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Ken Grassfoot
Ken Grassfoot
11/29/2001 5:00 pm
It's all about the show. If the crowd loves it keep going. If you know they are going to pull the plug, and the crowd is really digging it, end it with a big finish and leave the crowd wanting more. They will come see you next time. People who put together the big multi band shows are good friends to keep, don't burn too many bridges or you'll be playing to yourself on an island.
And Courtney Love is little miss publicity. She sings like a dying hamster and writes like a 1st grader. She did a good job of cashing in on Kurt Cobain's death. They should've bashed her over the head with the acoustic.
# 7
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
11/29/2001 11:13 pm
I'm 6'3 and 320 pounds, ain't nobody gonna drag me off stage....lol
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.