gibson SG standard

BrokenJera
BrokenJera
11/30/2007 10:37 pm
im thinking about buying this as part christmas present to me/ part saved money from work.
i have played several epiphone sg and thought they were good the action was set way to high on them though. i have also played a silvertone sg and one that didnt have a name on it(i think it was homemade). i did like them they had good tone and a nice comfort factor (execpt the action of course). just for the record i love my les pauls more than any other guitar i have played.

what im wondering is if any one owns/has played one of these? if so was it anygood? how did it sound/feel, how was the action? i do know that any guitar you might buy will be different from every other guitar is someway big or small, but im trying to figure out if the $1500 dollar price tag is worth it or if going with an epi is the better option.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 1
nbrothergtr
nbrothergtr
12/01/2007 1:36 am
Action should not be an issue for you. Assuming the neck is straight and the fretwork isn't popping out, you're going to be able to set the action where ever you want on any of these guitars. Paying for a professional set up is only 20 to 40 bucks.

There are reasons for the differences in price tags. Those reasons are namely woods, electronics, and labor put into making the instrument. Wether or not that price tag is worth it to you individually I can't answer.
# 2
wayne Carlson
wayne Carlson
12/01/2007 2:05 am
I have a 61 Gibson SG reissue. I love this guitar. The cut away style allows you to easily get way up the neck without having to move your thumb or stretch it. My SG has the "P90" pick ups on it. Get out of it's way. The tone from the guitar with those on it is just fantastic. I too have a 1981 Les Paul and love it. The SG gives me a different sound and feel. It plays great....but there was one draw back that I had worked on. It would not stay in tune. So I had my guitar tech install the "Buzz Feiten tuning system. That fixed that problem. Then a Tone Pro's stop tail peice gave it more solid sustain and tone.

Wayne
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.