View post (Theory more complicated than necessary?)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
11/24/2007 8:22 am
Superhuman,
The only solid advice I can offer regarding the topic, which any musician will truely benefit from;; It would be knowing every aspect of the Major Scale.
That's it. Learn the Function of the Major Scale's 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 total notes. All 7 modes related to the Major scale are in those 7 notes.
Somewhere in the thread, I saw a reference to an A7 chord. Automatically, I
know without a shadow of a doubt that chord stems from the D Major Scale.
The A7 chord is exclusive to the Key Of D. Does that mean it can't used anywhere else? Use it where ever you want. Your ear will tell you what to do with it. Beside relying on my ear alone as the final judgement as the death penalty to the progression, I'm going to focus immediately on two notes in the A7 chord that are behind the curtain; The C# and G notes to see if either are going to clash with other chord notes in the progression.
If so, the other chord could possibly be altered some way. The progression is not related to a single Key anyway, so change it up a little if it works.

A7 possibly getting used outside of the key of D instantly gets flagged as a rule breaker on my fretboard and needs to be monitored when not in Key.
Understanding the function of the Major scale inside and out is what gives you an understanding to how the other functions operate. Minor scales,
modes, chords, etc.....Are all created from One Major Scale requiring another Major scale to change whatever necessary in order to attend their facility and must be in proper uniform for acceptance.
I wouldn't trade my knowledge in Theory for anything (Except more of course)
It offers so many opportunities with ideas for my ear to decifer from. Things I may not have stumbled across hearing by noodling as the main source for Creativity.
Theory is only a tool in my opinion. I try to keep an open mind with it's usage
rather than rigid strict conformity... Creativity at it's finest comes through feeling. And anything with feeling is Alive.................