View post (Theory more complicated than necessary?)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
11/24/2007 12:46 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spideri feel too many people understand music theory by pattern of the scale rather than the sound of the scale.

being able to hear the difference in intervals and identif them is worth far more than bein able to plug them all out across the fretboard. ( at least in my opinion).

you need to here the music theory not see it, if it is to be any use to you.

It's true a person needs to train their ear and learn the fretboard, thus learning scales by the sound and where these notes are on the fretboard. It takes a combination to both learning music theory and by ear training. A good understand of theory will also make playing other instruments easier. With theory you will know what chords go with what. You will understand how a C9 or whatever is derived and be able to play it without thinking about it. Knowing the scales (most use the Caged system) will let you solo or play licks in those scales. Your ear will tell you what scale a song is being playing in, and so on and so on. It takes a good understanding of theory and ear training. I know people that tune their guitars by ear. I can get close, I need a tuner to be precise.

Also, having a good understanding of theory will allow you to communicate better with other musicians. Music is the a universal language without theory you would be lost. To be a good or great guitarist you need both. Unless you are a BB King that doesn't know anything about theory. Actually he does, he just doesn't know the terminlogy.

This is just my opinion.