View post (Bending...)

View thread

FMURPHYFrnky
FMURPHYFrnky
11/06/2007 12:55 am
i don't know if you're already trying this but , are you re-enforcing the strength of your bending finger w/ any fingers in back of it ???

for ex : S'POSE you wanna bend a note on the 3rd string , the G string... let's say you wanna bend up a whole step from the ninth fret E note to the 11th FRET TARGET PITCH WHICH IS F# (a whole step)... try placing your third finger on the ninth fret E note but back it up w/ your fist finger and second fingers as if your 3 fingers were lined up from the seventh to ninth frets all on the G string , dig ? ... This is a real guitar 101 tip but , I WOULD THINK THIS SHOULD ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM OF CATCHING THE OTHER STRING... when i first began playing i found bending to any target pitch alot easier w/ the use of back up fingers... eventually you'll develop a whole lotta strength in which one finger should be appropriate WHOLE STEP TARGETS OR HALF STEP TARGETS... BENDING DOWN IS ALWAYS A COOL WAY TO REACH A TARGET PITCH... THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT BENDING DOWN THAT IS EASIER... BUT BENDING UP IS A GOOD THING TO HAVE FOR UNISON BENDS IN WHICH YOU FRET THE PITCH YOU'RE BENDING TO ON THE FOLLOWING STRING... Micheal Schenker is one of my favorite rock guitar players and he does some amazing things bending downward and upward... I was raised on a steady diet of yngwie , schenker , van halen , hendrix and robin trower... all of whom bend brilliantly , even yngwie who tends to get a bad rap , but FK THAT CUZ he's soooo soulful behind the speed !!!

SHREEEDDDER Franky M.