Zakk Wylde in Town

force_of_shred
force_of_shred
10/23/2007 4:42 am
Man this is kind late to post this but i guess I going to meet Zakk Wylde tomorrow at our music store to sign some autographs hell be in town for the ozzy concert wendsday.

I'm freaking out what do you say to a guy like that when you meet him id probably choke up and faint.

Now i ask you all :

what would you say to a legend?
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/23/2007 8:18 am
Hi I'm ______ and you ******* rock! Heres a beer for the road.

Congrats though, I;d love to meet the dude, he's funny as hell.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
ren
ren
10/23/2007 12:18 pm
Too late for my advice here.... but don't meet your heroes. You'll likely be disappointed.

same goes with TV shows you loved as a kid... leave them as happy memories... :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/23/2007 5:19 pm
I'd tell him his signature pedals suck.....My ZW overdrive died along with my ZW wah pedal...then I'd go off on him about the 357 Choppers rip-off...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
la'guit
la'guit
10/25/2007 11:07 pm
so did ya meet him!
Jake, The fender king :cool:
# 5
ZakJenkins
ZakJenkins
10/26/2007 1:13 am
I'd tell him to listen to some Jazz.

And stop playing the Pentatonic Minor. He's pretty much got it down.
# 6
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
10/27/2007 5:58 am
Ok here's the scoop: he was doing an autograph signing at our Long & McQuade music store a day before the Ozzy concert in town here. I went after work at 5:00. He was supposed to only be there from 4:00 till 6:00 so I knew I'd get caught in a line, but the line was HUGE. People had apparently been lining up since 1:00 pm. I waited three and a half hours in a line that stretched outside and around the building. It wasn't until about 8:30 or so until I got to the doors with only a handful of people behind me. Shortly after, the store manager closed and locked the doors behind the last of us in line.At this time I noticed that there was still about eighty people in front of me (they had simply been cramming into the building instead of forming an orderly line).

About 20 minutes after they locked the doors, the manager came out with a megaphone and said "I'm sorry, but Zakk has another engagement he has to get to. Only the people who have wristbands will be given autographs. Again, I'm sorry." The wristbands were only supposed to be given to the first 150 people, so I don't know why there were like six people left there who had them, they should have been long gone, but whatever.

I was like "**** let's get out of here" but my girlfriend said "What the hell kind of engagement would he have to go to in THIS city at THIS time of day? Nothing is open. They're just trying to get us to leave on our own. We WILL stay until they kick us out." She had a point, and I wanted to at least get a glimpse of the guy I had waited three hours or so to see before I would leave (I felt that was necessary for my sanity and my anger issues) haha. Anyway, lots of people were quick to leave, even some people who had been there since 4:00 pm. I even heard comments by some people that they would be burning their Ozzy tickets because of this outrage.

Anyway it became apparent that if you stayed you would get a signing and that the managers just wanted to clear out the less dedicated of us. So as our turns came close I agreed to give my girlfriend my BLS best of cd to get signed as we were told that we could each only bring one thing I had brought my only picture of him that I owned, my Guitar World poster of him with the white Rhoads Jackson V. My girlfriend said she'd go first and then take a picture of me getting the poster signed when my turn came. She went up and he said hey babay (ya he said that to all the chicks), and she and got a hug and kiss on the cheek from him.

For the last hour, I had been trying to get up the balls to do this whole handshake thing and not look like a complete idiot. I watched a bunch of people and tried NOT to do what they were doing. This one guy went to shake Zakk's hand, but his sleeve was too long and it completely covered his hand even when he stuck his arm out, and Zakk gave a bit of a weird look and shook the floppy sleeved hand. As the guy walked away he just shook his head and swore at himself. So, I was trying really hard to remember not to screw up the handshake.

When my turn came, I was ridiculously nervous, and as I was about to walk out, the bouncer guy said "Whoa what is THAT?" and pointed to my poster. It looked like I'd brought a Jimi Hendrix poster because he was on the back of the Zakk Wylde poster. I showed him the Zakk side and he let me through. FINALLY I walked over fairly quickly and did a good, "confident" handshake-shoulder-to-shoulder thing (you know what I mean, right? the "hey, man" kinda greeting?). He said "hows it goin" and I mumbled (without thinking) "not bad". He signed my poster, and then he actually applauded. I... don't know why. It was like a praise-applause clap. I think it might've been something about the picture, but other people had brought it and he didn't applaud for them, so... maybe he just knows I'm awesome? hehehe Anyway, I have EVIDENCE he clapped for me (I swear I'm not chubby, it's just the way I moved when the picture was taken). Click on the picture to see a bigger version.

I was told later that I looked very confident. I think my girlfriend is lying. Whatever. At least Zakk Wylde didn't shake my sleeve.

EDIT: I was really impressed with Zakk. He stuck around until everyone was finished, even though it was like 3 or 4 hours longer than he was supposed to stay. Everyone was told no pictures but he took them anyway, happily. He talked a bit with everyone, hugged and signed people's babies... All in all, a really cool guy. If anyone brought a guitar in, he played it a bit for the person. Wow, this post got long...
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 7
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
10/27/2007 10:06 am
hehe seems like u went through a bit of trouble to get his autograph ay, well anyway it seems like it was worth it glad u got a chance to meet him hope i get the same chance some day
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
# 8
la'guit
la'guit
10/28/2007 12:30 am
exelent man... happy for ya!
Jake, The fender king :cool:
# 9
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
10/30/2007 11:36 pm
thanks guy's It was well worth it. And I'm glad to say that I wasn't dissapointed with Zakk. I probably more of a fan now than before.

Interesting story I herd that when he was on a break at the signing he saw some kid who was getting lessons at the store,I guess the kid was using a really crappy guitar so Zakk told him to pick any guitar in the store and he bought it for him and signed it as well.

I giggled though when I saw in the paper that the kid chose an Epiphone SG.
# 10
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
10/31/2007 1:19 am
wow, that was really cool of him even though it was just an epiphone sg. i prolly woulda been a suck up and gotten his custom les paul
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
# 11
birddog415
birddog415
11/07/2007 3:32 am
very cool , you got to meet him ,got a picture and got your poster signed (nice tri-fecta)- this is a moment you'll never forget.
# 12
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/07/2007 10:44 am
I'm glad you got to live one of you dreams. I'm sure it was worth all the trouble you went through. I personally am not that crazy about any star (recording artist, movie actor, politician, or anyone) that I would even purchase a ticket to see. It's not that I am cheap (which my wife would say I was), I just don't get excited about stardom. I receive free tickets to concerts and such all the time, and the few times I did go, I was very disappointed. Even though it didn't cost me a dime, I felt I was cheated of my time and time you can never get back.

There are people I do admire and would like to sit down and have a conversation with, but I would never stand in line to see a movie, meet a recording artist, or even to eat dinner.

I have at times, but it was because of the friends I was with. I knew they wanted to eat there, or see that movie, etc., so I toughed it out. And because I was with friends, it turns out to be a very enjoyable evening. If I were alone, I would have left. I watch very little TV and hardly ever go to see a movie. I do purchase CDs and listen to some radio, but that's me

I'm glad for you and it bought you so much happiness.

Actually, there are only a hand full of people I might go out of my way to meet not because of their stardom, but because of them as a person. I admire their views, wisdom, and how the lived their lives. However, I would want to have at least an hour or two conversation with them.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.