Intonation Problem- Help!

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
10/06/2007 9:26 pm
I've got a problem with the intonation of one of my strings (high e). It's flat and I can't move the saddle any farther forwards. The reason this is a mystery to me is that all of the other strings are fine and, just a few days ago, so was this one. I have no idea what caused the problem or how to fix it.

Edit: Forgot to mention: I know that the string itself is good.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
10/28/2007 8:42 pm
I can only imagine that the string has stretched - I would replace it.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/29/2007 6:47 pm
Sometimes a littel twist on the truss rod can iron out intonation problem...
# 3
TexAxe
TexAxe
11/02/2007 6:38 pm
Like Superhuman said, I would try a quarter turn on truss rod. It's possible if a small adjustment to truss rod doesn't help that your guitar wasn't made to proper scale/put together correctly. This can sometimes happen with cheaper guitars. Also, check the saddle where the string crosses over it. There may be a groove or sharp edge preventing your string from intonating correctly. If all else fails, take it to a good luthier/repair person. They can probably fix fairly easily and cheaply.
# 4
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
11/04/2007 1:45 pm
Hello Hammurabi,

I don't know all the details of your particular situation but here are some real world "gotchas" that will definitely make it appear that you can't intonate your guitar or one string on your guitar. It may be that there is nothing at all wrong with your guitar.

One of the things that makes me doubt there is anything wrong with the truss rod on your guitar is that your other strings intonate without problem. Also you've indicated that you've changed the string to a brand new one. I am also presuming that you haven't had anyone do any work to the nut of your guitar. If so, that could certainly cause you intonation problems. I also assume from your conversation that this guitar was known to intonate properly at one time, before you started having problems.

Before trying to intonate your guitar, make sure your tuner has fresh batteries installed.

IF you are trying to intonate an acoustic guitar by using the mic of a guitar tuner, you need to pay attention to unwanted noises interfering with the tuner's ability to hear your guitar, i.e., fans running, close proximity to TV or Computer, dog barking, fluorescent lights, etc. Much electrical noise is polarized, that is, it is directional. Try facing in several different directions as you intonate to see if that makes any difference. Try intonating your guitar in another room, out in the garage, on the back deck, etc.

If you are trying to intonate an electric guitar, make sure you are plugged directly into the tuner and nothing else is connected, i.e., amps, pedals, etc. Perhaps there is something about the guitar cord you are using that is giving you problems. Perhaps it's the tuner itself. Maybe you should try a different tuner. All of the items in the above paragraph still apply (fans, lights, TV, computer, etc.). It's actually just as critical because the pickups on the guitar will do exactly what their name implies--"pickup" wanted as well as unwanted noises to keep you from intonating your guitar. Try different pickup combinations with the selector switch or switches.

Have a friend come over to your house with his guitar and tuner. See if his guitar intonates properly at your house with his tuner and cord. Then see if your guitar can be intonated with his tuner and cord. The opposite of that is to see if his guitar indicates correct intonation with your tuner and cord. Try going over to his house to see if the problem(s) follow you there or now all of a sudden, you can intonate your guitar properly. If that is the case, it indicates some kind of electrical noise is interfering with your guitar and or guitar tuner.

These are all common problems that guitar players overlook when trying to set-up their guitar. I hope this information helps.

Best wishes,

Bobby Howe
[FONT=Verdana]Bobby Howe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Alias: guitargeorge50[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Guitar Tricks Instructor[/FONT]

www.bobbyhowe.com

Bobby Howe's My Space Page

Bobby Howe's Facebook Page

[FONT=Verdana]"Guitarists should be able to pick up the guitar and play music on it for an hour, without a rhythm section or anything." - Joe Pass[/FONT]
# 5
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
11/04/2007 1:51 pm
Originally Posted by: TexAxe Also, check the saddle where the string crosses over it. There may be a groove or sharp edge preventing your string from intonating correctly. If all else fails, take it to a good luthier/repair person. They can probably fix fairly easily and cheaply.

I forgot one thing. TexAxe is correct. If the saddle has any imperfections in manufacture, this could cause intonation problems as well. It's a lot of work but one way to prove that is to change the saddle in question with another one known to work properly. This is a lot of work and if you feel comfortable with it, fine. If not, best do as TexAxe has suggested--take it to a reputable luthier.

Best wishes,

Bobby Howe
[FONT=Verdana]Bobby Howe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Alias: guitargeorge50[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Guitar Tricks Instructor[/FONT]

www.bobbyhowe.com

Bobby Howe's My Space Page

Bobby Howe's Facebook Page

[FONT=Verdana]"Guitarists should be able to pick up the guitar and play music on it for an hour, without a rhythm section or anything." - Joe Pass[/FONT]
# 6
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
11/09/2007 4:37 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanSometimes a littel twist on the truss rod can iron out intonation problem...

Yes, I think this is correct

Eg: when I first bought my bass , I set up the action and intonation.
A few months ago i adjusted the truss rod to improve the action, but i didn't check the intonation.
An hour ago I checked the intonation and on the 12th fret - it's sharp.
So I think if you slightly tighten the truss rod it should ' iron out ' the problem.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.