R U Serious About Songwriting?

looneytunes
looneytunes
10/05/2007 10:48 am
I have been writing songs for many years and I have had a few successes. I am not bragging, but I have learned a few things over the years. First, I believe you must write for yourself. You need to use all the resources, your experiences, your friends experiences, your friend's friend's experiences, your past, your dreams, you sorrows. You must use your day to day conversations, conversations you over heard, everything.

Though I don't always start with a good title, this is the best way to start lyrics. A good title will usually write the song and it can come from anywhere. Such as, I remember running to my next class in high school (many years ago) and I forgot where I was supposed to be. Was I suppose to go upstairs or down stairs? I was temporarily brain locked! Then I got this idea for a song title, "Up the Down Staircase". I certainly never wrote a song with such a title, but isn't it a great title?

Anyway, I don't really want to promote any books, but I believe this website and book will help many of you to get started in songwriting. And if you are serious about songwriting, don't keep your songs to yourself. Others have had your same experiences and thoughts and dreams. It would be a terrible thing not to share yours with them.

I receive a lot of pleasure from writing songs, whether I ever hear them on the radio or not. I write for myself, but it also gives a body great joy when someone else accepts their songs.

I have been doing much of the things mentioned in John Braheny's book, but I have also learned a great deal from it. Here's the website, if any of you are interested.

www.johnbraheny.com

I hope posting this website doesn't get me into trouble with this BB. I do not get any benefits from from Mr. Braheny's book. I am merely trying to help those who may not know how to start writing a song. I believe this to be a great tool.
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
10/05/2007 11:05 am
Interesting points. The same thing can be said for writing in general. BTW; wasn't Up the Down Stair Case a novel from the 1960's? I think a film was made from it. Just wondering. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
looneytunes
looneytunes
10/05/2007 11:58 am
I think you're right! "Up the Down Stair Case" was a movie and novel. I never thought of it before. I don't think I ever saw the movie or read the book, but now I'm sure I heard the title or saw the ad. I might look into it now. Thanks!

This movie may have been my inspiration for the song title along with my experience on the staircase. I may not have pursued writing a song with this title, because of the movie. I just don't remember, but I do remember my experience on the staircase. My point is, inspiration may come from anywhere. It can come from books, pictures, magazines, other songs, movies, etc., but it is your own experience as to how these things effect you personally.

You may write about subjects that you never experienced, but you are inspired or attracted to that subject because of things you have experienced, such as, death. You cannot experience death and then write about. At least I don't think so, but you can write about someone close to you dying and how it effected you and others. You can also write other things using those feelings and experiences. You can also use your imagination and write about the future or make believe, but these things are all related in some way to your experiences or dreams in some form. It's inspiration.

I also, realize there are exceptions to every rule.

I am no expert on the subject, but I do think the book I recommended will give the unexperienced writer a kick start and the experienced a great tool. I think it was around $20, but it was the best $20 I ever spent.

Good luck to all of you songwriters.

Remember everyone has a story to tell whether in a novel or song. A song is much shorter and more pleasing to the ear. In most cases!
# 3
Drew77
Drew77
10/06/2007 2:30 am
Up the Downstair is also a Porcupine Tree song/Album. No idea of it's relation to the film.

I also agree with what you've said.
# 4
looneytunes
looneytunes
10/07/2007 1:55 am
I didn't know that!

You know, we are going to have to stop meeting like this. People are going to talk.

Thanks,
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.