View post (R U Serious About Songwriting?)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
10/05/2007 11:58 am
I think you're right! "Up the Down Stair Case" was a movie and novel. I never thought of it before. I don't think I ever saw the movie or read the book, but now I'm sure I heard the title or saw the ad. I might look into it now. Thanks!

This movie may have been my inspiration for the song title along with my experience on the staircase. I may not have pursued writing a song with this title, because of the movie. I just don't remember, but I do remember my experience on the staircase. My point is, inspiration may come from anywhere. It can come from books, pictures, magazines, other songs, movies, etc., but it is your own experience as to how these things effect you personally.

You may write about subjects that you never experienced, but you are inspired or attracted to that subject because of things you have experienced, such as, death. You cannot experience death and then write about. At least I don't think so, but you can write about someone close to you dying and how it effected you and others. You can also write other things using those feelings and experiences. You can also use your imagination and write about the future or make believe, but these things are all related in some way to your experiences or dreams in some form. It's inspiration.

I also, realize there are exceptions to every rule.

I am no expert on the subject, but I do think the book I recommended will give the unexperienced writer a kick start and the experienced a great tool. I think it was around $20, but it was the best $20 I ever spent.

Good luck to all of you songwriters.

Remember everyone has a story to tell whether in a novel or song. A song is much shorter and more pleasing to the ear. In most cases!