Recording mic and keyboard

Buoy
Buoy
10/03/2007 1:20 am
Greetings,

I'm going to apologize in advance as I know these are way newbie questions, but I searched around and I'm still not sure if I've got it right. So I appreciate any help.

I have two questions, if anyone can answer one or both, that'd be great!

I'm just getting into recording - have downloaded Reaper and have ordered a 4 track cassette recorder. I think I'll be ok with the guitar and bass, but I want to add vocals, harmonica and keyboard.

Question #1: To record from a microphone (vocals/harmonica), it looks like I need a XLT(?) adapter to go from that three prong microphone thing to a 1/4". Is that right?

Question #2: I have a Privia PX-100 keyboard that only has MIDI and phones output jacks. I read that I can buy an adapter to go to 1/4", but I'm not sure if it's from the MIDI or the phones jack.

Reading around, it seems like I may need something to go between any adapter and the 4 track/computer - like a pre-amp or maybe I can just use one of my amps? Sorry, I guess that's a 3rd question.

I don't know anything about this stuff, just know what I want to do. About to buy some stuff, but have no idea what to buy. Not too worried about the cash if that's a big issue, but I'd rather go cheaper at first to get a feel rather than spend a lot for something I don't neeed.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/03/2007 7:13 pm
Question 1:

There are a couple of different types of Mic. The two most common are dynamic and condensers. Dynamics dont need power condensers do.

So an adaptor that converts an XLR (3 pronged mic plug) into 1/4 inch will be fine for a dynamic mic providing you run it into a Mic (not a Line) level input. Mics output LowZ signal which is very different to Line level

An easier option is to buy a USB condenser microphone. Blue and Sampson both make them. they have a built in pre amp, sound reasonable and will let you shoot directly into the computer.

Question 2

MIDI is whey cool. it is not audio it is more flexible that that.
If your soundcard has a midi sound generator built into it you will be able to record midi data and then play it back through the sound card. You will also be able to change patches / instrument sounds as suits you. If your sound card is midi compatible you may be able to plug a midi device directly into it providing you have a cable with the correct ends.
Or you could spend a few bucks on a USB / midi adapter. they are not expensive.

Equivalently, you could run the headphones out into a line level input. This is not ideal as there is probably an impedance mismatch however with a little experimenting you should be able to record something worthwhile.

Good luck and have fun !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Buoy
Buoy
10/04/2007 12:38 am
Thanks Dr_Simon, I appreciate the reply. I've got a lot to learn about this stuff, and no doubt I'll have fun with it.

I realized this was way above my head and that I needed to get to a music store. I try to avoid that if I can because the closest one is 2.5 hours away. So I took the day off, talked to those guys about what I wanted to do and they fixed my up, at least I hope.

I'll have to call in sick again tomorrow and start checking it out!

Thanks again.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/04/2007 4:38 am
cool ! Hope it all works out for you, any problems well you know where we are !

Have fun !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.