View post (Recording mic and keyboard)

View thread

Buoy
Buoy
10/03/2007 1:20 am
Greetings,

I'm going to apologize in advance as I know these are way newbie questions, but I searched around and I'm still not sure if I've got it right. So I appreciate any help.

I have two questions, if anyone can answer one or both, that'd be great!

I'm just getting into recording - have downloaded Reaper and have ordered a 4 track cassette recorder. I think I'll be ok with the guitar and bass, but I want to add vocals, harmonica and keyboard.

Question #1: To record from a microphone (vocals/harmonica), it looks like I need a XLT(?) adapter to go from that three prong microphone thing to a 1/4". Is that right?

Question #2: I have a Privia PX-100 keyboard that only has MIDI and phones output jacks. I read that I can buy an adapter to go to 1/4", but I'm not sure if it's from the MIDI or the phones jack.

Reading around, it seems like I may need something to go between any adapter and the 4 track/computer - like a pre-amp or maybe I can just use one of my amps? Sorry, I guess that's a 3rd question.

I don't know anything about this stuff, just know what I want to do. About to buy some stuff, but have no idea what to buy. Not too worried about the cash if that's a big issue, but I'd rather go cheaper at first to get a feel rather than spend a lot for something I don't neeed.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!