ShredNeck / DreadNeck

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/28/2007 10:32 pm
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has one of these practise necks, and what you think of it? If you don't know what I am talking about, check it out here: http://www.shredneck.com/about.html

I was thinking of getting one to chuck in my backpack to take on the train and to the office etc. I think it would be great to be able to practise scales, chords, study musicology as it relates to guitar as well as build and maintain calluses. It's only the first 7 frets though so I'm wondering how hard it will be to hold when practising techniques that require a high level of dexterity.. such as multi-finger tapping.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/29/2007 12:10 am
Honestly, I woudn't bother. It sounds like you practice enough already (calloused fingers and blisters!) and the whole shredneck thing looks like a gimmick to me. I play about 2 hours per week (I have never practiced scales, I just practice by working out what I can hear in my head). There have been a few threads here where the more advanced guys have admitted to becoming better guitarists by actually playing less. It certainly worked for me.
My advice is to forget the shredneck and stock up on the cd's of great guitarists and just listen to them when you aren't practising. And by listening, I mean realy 'listening'. Most people don't actually hear the technique and skill behind a lot of guitarmanship. If you can hear it, understand it and can visualise it, it becomes a lot easier to play. I could never sweep pick untill I spent some time listing to Jason Becker, then I realised how he did it and was able to do it too (with a bit of practise!).
The shredneck looks like it will just get you into playing scales and you wont be able to hear if you are playing cleanly or not. Anyway, playing without any music is no fun!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.