View post (Feeling the Song-Writing Blues?)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
11/03/2007 1:23 am
[QUOTE=TexAxe]I'm a pure guitar nutcase so I don't consider a "complete" song as a song only with lyrics. As long as there exists the structure of the song, almost anything lyrically can be composed or adapted to it. Of course, like anything else, the music may have to give in some areas and take in others once the lyrics are written[QUOTE=TexAxe]

I realize everyone has a different approach to everything, however, our main difference is our view on lyrics. I don't consider a song complete without lyrics. Lyrics along with the music is what "hooks" the listener into it.

I know compositions do not all have lyrics, such as, orchestrations and movie backgrounds may not have words. These recordings without lyrics are considered instumentals, not necessarily songs. This is just a matter of opinion and verbage, but I want you consider how many songs are played on the radio (all stations) and how many do not have lyrics?

So, now we are back to my original question several treads ago. How serious are you about song writing?

[QUOTE=TexAxe]It wouldn't take a genius to compose lyrics and/or a melody that fit nicely into the song.[QUOTE=TexAxe]

You're statement gives one the impression that you feel lyric writing is not that important to a good song and that anyone can write a successful verse, chorus, bridge, or refrain that includes all the rules of lyric writing, which I don't have time to go into right now. That it real doesn't matter what you write as long as the music is good. If this is what you are saying, then all I have say is you are completely wrong. The lyrics and music must both appeal to the listener. They together must get their interest and keep their interest throughout the entire composition.

You find music writing easy and I find lyric writing easy, but both have a job to do and both have to do it well.