Epiphone SG

LDPGuitarist27
LDPGuitarist27
09/15/2007 5:29 pm
This is my first thread. I really want to buy an electric guitar with an amp, of course, and was wondering if anyone here has used or bought a Epiphone SG-Special Electric Guitar. I played it at Guitar Center with the amp I want and it sounds good. (Im trying to get a Crate GTD15 Guitar Amplifier) If anone knows anything about them I would like some help.
Hvy MtL
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/16/2007 12:04 pm
hrmm.. I have an Epiphone SG.. I've had it for about 8 or 9 years now but then I am not a guitar pro either so I don't really know what to say about the guitar. I'll just comment on my guitar alone.. I don't know enough to say if what has happened to my guitar is common or uncommon for Epiphone SGs though.

Anyway.. I love the SG.. from a purely cosmetic point of view the shape and red color conjures up images of Angus Young playing it on any number of AC/DC's songs. It's got the smooth roundedness of a Les Paul with cool looking pointy bits.. hehe.. anyway yeh.. I can't really remember what kind of pickups it had in it.. but they were fairly decent and looked nice with their polished metal coverings. In the end though, I decided to upgrade to some high end DiMarzio passive humbucker pickups, I forget which model they are now but they would have been bought about 6 or 7 years ago. Since it was going to be my main electric guitar I needed the pickups to be top quality.

The construction and feel of the guitar is well balanced.. it's reasonably heavy, which is a good thing; the fret board is slightly wider than a stratocaster style guitar, making it easier to play rhythm sections anywhere you want on the neck. On my strat, I tend to feel a little more cramped when playing rhythm sections. The bridge, where the strings go through, is well thought out and adjustments are easily made both with and without strings on the guitar. Just have to be careful to put the saddle bar back on the right way around otherwise the intonation will be immediately out.

My SG suffers from a common nut problem, where the string gets pinched where the string passes through on to the fret board. Either need to lubricate (with graphite) or get guitar tech to sand it out a little to open up the groove a little wider. It's not that big a deal just makes tuning a pain sometimes.

All in all, it's a nice guitar.. very versatile and able to achieve many great metal, rock and ballad tones etc. I use it mainly when I want a clean sound or a really crunchy distortion. I have a strat as well so I can mix and match my sound as required. I have passive pickups in the SG and active pickups in the strat. Those new DiMarzio D Activator pickups look perfectly suited to the SG.. The most recent Guitar World magazine has a video review of them.. sortof hybrid passive/active pickups.

Anyway.. in the end.. it's all about preference and style you want to play. Honestly if I had done it all over, I would have bought Fender strat, a smaller amp and would have probably still had only the fender to this day... but I do like my SG.. a lot.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.