Fulltone Octafuzz

Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/24/2007 3:49 am
So yeeeaaah... my birthday is coming up in a few days, but due to certain circumstances, I have been treated to an early birthday present. You guessed it... The octafuzz. I wasn't even planning on buying anything on my Guitar Center trip, but then I found out that they actually did carry fulltone products. Tried it out, loved it, bam, sold. Quite an expensive little purchase, and I probably wouldn't have blown that much, but the option of cancelling the octave on it is golden. What a concept! Anyways, great pedal, and I would definitely recommend one to anybody who desires an octave fuzz. The ONLY downside is that I now have to buy a $2.50 adapter because the pedal requires reverse polarity. :( Not a bank buster, but come on... what a pain. I already attempted to use my normal adapter, for maybe less than 15 seconds total, so I would hope I'd be safe, eh?
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 1
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/24/2007 6:51 am
Dude, you should never use any adapter but that specified by the manufacturer. Regradless of how long, if you plug it in and turn it on, you can damage the pedal considerably. This can usually be easily fixed, but will require sending your pedal back to Fulltone and that takes a few weeks.

Secondly, I would not recvommend a cheap power supply...you need a consistent regulated supply, or you could damage the pedal again...the pedal is designed to handle a certain voltage and exceeding that can blow components.

Rather buy a fulltone psu, they go for about 25$ and should keep it all safe.

Good luck, hope you've not already caused any problems with your new pedal.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 2
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/24/2007 12:42 pm
It seems to be functioning normally. I shall put into consideration some better power supplies.

SoundClick Page

# 3
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/24/2007 7:25 pm
After a good session with it today it seems to be functioning 100%. And heck, if it is damaged, I'm gonna damage the rest of my pedals if they'll sound this good. :D Oh, and a quick question too. Can attach the daisy chain to the FPS-1? Will this work, or should I just look into buying a DC Brick or something?

SoundClick Page

# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/24/2007 11:01 pm
I've never really had a lot of luck with Octavio-style stuff.. Is there any that work just as good while playing rhythm sections as they play when playing single notes?
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/25/2007 1:55 am
Not a chance. Think about it. You've got a "power chord" ( :( I hate that word) like 3-5-5 ya know. So this means, with the octave engaged, you have 6 notes, almost all of which are the same note now (4/6 I think). So you've got a note thats appearing 4 times, which is enough to make a studio quality recording sound a little twangy, then in most cases, like mine, add some fuzz in moderation and you're gonna have a hell of a time. I know theres probably some other pedal, EH Hog, that could do some rhythm octave stuff, but IMO you gotta have the fuzz. Its such a joyful noise. I guess what I'm trying to say is, rhythm and octaves don't go hand in hand. In all seriousness, all you have to do is step on the pedal, and you're back to your clean sound anyways. :cool: Listen to some Hendrix, and you'll get what the octavia thing's all about. Heck, I'll even give you a little sneak peek of octave madness to come in my days down the road. (Check out my man doyle in this)

Utter insanity with an octave pedal, and if someone says its bad because he doesn't play fast... I pity you.

SoundClick Page

# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/30/2007 9:41 am
nice that it still works...

You shouldn't have a problem using a Daisy chain, tho you might get some noise in your chain.

So long as the power supply you buy is specified according to your pedal, you'll be fine.
I think the octafuzz would need a 9 volt power supply...this is pretty standard...then there are generally two options, the centre pin on the power supply jack will either be positive or negative.

There should be a small diagram on the pedal depicting which one, as well as listing of these details in the manual (my Fulldrive came with very explicit explanations).

Anyway, so long as the power supply you use has a centre pin with the correct polarity, it should be fine.

If you daisy chain, you may get some hum, but I'm not sure, having never daisy chained pedals before.

So long as your supply is regulated, and specified to the correct polarity, it should work fine.

Cheaper power supplies tend to have poor regulation, or none at all...and as such the voltage supllied varies by more than more expensive units...this can be a bigger issue than it sounds
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 7
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/30/2007 2:25 pm
I'm just going to 9 volt it for now, and/or forever. It's an amazing pedal, don't get me wrong, but things like these can only be used sparingly. Due to this reason, I'm just going to use batteries, and there shouldn't be a problem. I can always buy the 3 dollar adapter for the daisy chain, too if need be, which might come into play with the AC Booster I am looking at(has negative polarity, too) This christmas though I'm going to try and obtain a dc brick. As the pedals get nicer, I want the power supply to upgrade to, and who wants all of that annoying hum anyways?

SoundClick Page

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.