View post (The Annoying G String)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/12/2007 10:10 am
And what about intonation.. this is not a problem only found on my SG but also on my strat... I find that the saddles can not go far enough away from the fret board to allow the 12fth fret note to be the same note (albeit one octave higher) as the open string. I play as lightly as I can on the 12fth fret so that additional pressure on the fretted string does not make it even sharper than it already is..

You mention having a much thicker gauge than I currently have on my strat (I have .09 to .46 on strat for example) and that that particular gauge intonates correctly.. I thought the point of having these saddles was to allow for almost all gauge to work with the guitar.. but now I am wondering whether some models of guitar can only really handle a specific range of gauges.. like my SG may only be capable of gauges of around .11 to .52 whereas the strat might be a little lighter, say 0.10 to 0.46, rather than as light as I have 0.09 to 0.46.

Noone ever mentions, in their intonation tutorials, what to do if your saddle reaches one side of the bridge (or the other) and the 12fth fret note is still out of tune...making it seems as though I am doing something wrong.

I'll take a picture of my bridge with my phone to show you what I mean.. It seems as though if I continue to set the intonation (I have only set the first 3 strings) that they will all be at the far right (away from fret board) position and still wanting to go further. On all the tutorials, the movement of the saddles is minuscule in comparison.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog