View post (The Annoying G String)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/12/2007 4:12 am
Originally Posted by: guitargeorge50Hey, over the years, I have had the very same problems you describe. First about the strings not tuning properly. After trying many different combinations, guages and brands of strings, I finally have found what works for me the best.

In the past, to fix the problem you describe with the G not tuning properly, I used a wound G string...like about a .20 or a .22 guage string. I used this for many years and it worked fine but of course it makes it harder to bend the string much beyond one fret. Finally I discovered Elixir brand strings for electric guitar. I now use their medium guage set, 12102 .011, .014, .018, .028w, .038w and .049w. I have found that the heavier guage 0.18 G string stays in tune better and intonates properly. The tone is excellent and since these strings have the special rust inhibiting coating, they last 3 to 5 times longer than other strings. I am quite pleased with these strings. By the way, I don't work for Elixir!

YAY! Someone who understands my problem! ;)

Yeh.. I have been trying out all different things too but I have never tried Elixir strings before.. I just usually buy the same brand I've always bought for 15+ years... I have heard other people mentioning these strings before about them being a little more pricey than other strings but if it has a chance of fixing the problem, I will give it a shot...

As far as the strings not moving as the tuning machines are turned until you hear a "snap" and then the string goes beyond the note you wanted, it sounds to me like the channels cut into the nut where the strings lay are not wide enough to accommodate the strings and so they "grab" in the channels. The nut is too tight.

I was thinking may be putting some graphite dust in there first but if that doesn't do the trick I will certainly take it to my guitar repairman. I think though that having that particular gauge strings might help enough to get the guitar back in action..

Luckily I fixed a similar issue with my strat by changing the D string with a wound string, so I was able to get it back into action for my thing earlier today..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog