View post (The Annoying G String)

View thread

guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
08/11/2007 10:47 pm
Hello Light 487,

Hey, over the years, I have had the very same problems you describe. First about the strings not tuning properly. After trying many different combinations, guages and brands of strings, I finally have found what works for me the best.

In the past, to fix the problem you describe with the G not tuning properly, I used a wound G string...like about a .20 or a .22 guage string. I used this for many years and it worked fine but of course it makes it harder to bend the string much beyond one fret. Finally I discovered Elixir brand strings for electric guitar. I now use their medium guage set, 12102 .011, .014, .018, .028w, .038w and .049w. I have found that the heavier guage 0.18 G string stays in tune better and intonates properly. The tone is excellent and since these strings have the special rust inhibiting coating, they last 3 to 5 times longer than other strings. I am quite pleased with these strings. By the way, I don't work for Elixir!

As far as the strings not moving as the tuning machines are turned until you hear a "snap" and then the string goes beyond the note you wanted, it sounds to me like the channels cut into the nut where the strings lay are not wide enough to accommodate the strings and so they "grab" in the channels. The nut is too tight. Be wary...I wouldn't work on the nut of a guitar unless you know exactly what you are doing and are experienced. There is nothing easier to mess up than the nut of a guitar. I would take the guitar to a reputable music shop or music store. Many stores have guitar technicians right in the store. If not, they can recommend someone in your area that is a reputable guitar repairman. A Gibson SG is a a fine instrument. I cannot imagine that it can't be set up properly so that you can get these problems behind you.

I hope this helps. Best wishes,

Bobby Howe
[FONT=Verdana]Bobby Howe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Alias: guitargeorge50[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Guitar Tricks Instructor[/FONT]

www.bobbyhowe.com

Bobby Howe's My Space Page

Bobby Howe's Facebook Page

[FONT=Verdana]"Guitarists should be able to pick up the guitar and play music on it for an hour, without a rhythm section or anything." - Joe Pass[/FONT]