View post (Creative Guitar Paintings.)

View thread

Bodyelectric
Bodyelectric
09/04/2007 6:24 am
I'm Sorry I did'nt get back but I did'nt notice that there was a page 2 in the thread.
Ok, first, paint removal can be done by sanding or paint stripper. Do not sand too deep. The stripper is effective but messy. Either way sucks.

There are alot of factors to consider when choosing a paint. What did it have before, what is your sanding sealer compatible with, what kind of spray equipment do you have? and a multitude of other ins and outs. I can't really give you a solid answer. If you take it down to bare wood you can use what ever you want ie: nitrocellulose or an acrylic laquer and so on.
There is a guy that sells an E-book about doing a factory finish with spray cans. This is very in depth and well worth the investment. Google it and it should pop up. J Gleneki is the author
Also I am not painting my guitars. Those are real labels and or scraps of paper.
I would also suggest you get any new hardware pickups ect. and assemble it BEFORE you apply a new finish to see if it all fits. I can't tell you how many times I have had to redo a whole finish because someting did'nt fit and I had to modify something.
go to this site. http://groups.msn.com/southernvermontmusic On that page scroll down to Zyons dream guitars. This is a forum that has much discussion on this topic. I think you will find a lot of answers there. I post tutorials there a lot.
Tim