Recording in one room (will this work)

DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
08/07/2007 2:33 pm
With Pro tools, Should we record the voc,bass,guitars with DI and the whole band play not recording the drums and after we finish the drummer go back and re-record the mic'ed drums to prevent bleed over on the CD. First time home recording, it's really just for band members to play the band practice of new songs and just jammin to a cool riffs, and also help rewrite some lyrics.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 1
equator
equator
08/07/2007 4:27 pm
Never done it, but if I was gonna do something like that, I'd use the built in metronome in the recording software or a drum machine and then record the vocals, bass, guitars.
After that, I'd delete the metronome or drum machine track and have the drummer play live.
Once again, I've never done it, but it's an idea to think about.

Oh... if you do it like that make sure to have the bass and drums as far away from the master track as you can and use plenty of compression.
Something like this:
1) Master Track
2) metronome ( to be deleted )
3) guitars
4) vocals
5) bass
6) drums

I recently read an article saying that when you have the drums and bass too close to the master track, the master track is affected in a bad way.
Hope that helps bro.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
08/07/2007 5:33 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorNever done it, but if I was gonna do something like that, I'd use the built in metronome in the recording software or a drum machine and then record the vocals, bass, guitars.
After that, I'd delete the metronome or drum machine track and have the drummer play live.
Once again, I've never done it, but it's an idea to think about.

Oh... if you do it like that make sure to have the bass and drums as far away from the master track as you can and use plenty of compression.
Something like this:
1) Master Track
2) metronome ( to be deleted )
3) guitars
4) vocals
5) bass
6) drums

I recently read an article saying that when you have the drums and bass too close to the master track, the master track is affected in a bad way.
Hope that helps bro.
I see what you are saying and agree, I want to explore all I can with what we have to work with. Remember its just recording band practice to smooth out (bumps) in the songs if you will, We will record the Master at a Pro Studio ;)
# 3
Gargy
Gargy
08/08/2007 2:53 pm
I've been down this road; its easier to record everything at once, since like taht way you said it'd be very hard to get the drums to sync up perfectly with the music.

However, it could be much easier to record the drums first THEN record the rest of the music around it.
# 4
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
08/08/2007 6:12 pm
Originally Posted by: GargyI've been down this road; its easier to record everything at once, since like taht way you said it'd be very hard to get the drums to sync up perfectly with the music.

However, it could be much easier to record the drums first THEN record the rest of the music around it.
But then you can hear all the other stuff come through on the drum mic's on play back making the drums sound like crap.
# 5
Superhuman
Superhuman
08/09/2007 10:40 am
Here's what I would do. Record the rhythm guitar on a scratch take to a metronome or click, then the drummer can listen to it on a good set of headphones and play drums (just like in a studio). If the arrangement is loose then you need to story board out the changes and number of bars on a large A1 sheet of paper for the drummer to follow the cues. Then you get a clean take of drums with no bleed over from other instruments.
You can then play them through the PA or desk monitors and DI or mic up the rest of the instruments.
Depends on what you are trying to capture. If you do each instrument separately you are more likely to get better quality because mistakes are less likely to be missed and each take will be clean with no bleed from other instruments. You can focus on getting each part 100% correct and do as many drop-ins as required.
Recording seperately also allows you to multi layer sounds with different tones or mic placements and settings. It all depends on what you want to achieve. If you are just trying to capture a live performance then you need a good selection of mics at strategic positions within the room. It can also help to put a screen around the drummer and you can even put guitar and bass amps inside a box with their mic - this really helps to reduce interference from instrument to instrument.
Hope that helps!
# 6
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
08/09/2007 2:18 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanHere's what I would do. Record the rhythm guitar on a scratch take to a metronome or click, then the drummer can listen to it on a good set of headphones and play drums (just like in a studio). If the arrangement is loose then you need to story board out the changes and number of bars on a large A1 sheet of paper for the drummer to follow the cues. Then you get a clean take of drums with no bleed over from other instruments.
You can then play them through the PA or desk monitors and DI or mic up the rest of the instruments.
Depends on what you are trying to capture. If you do each instrument separately you are more likely to get better quality because mistakes are less likely to be missed and each take will be clean with no bleed from other instruments. You can focus on getting each part 100% correct and do as many drop-ins as required.
Recording seperately also allows you to multi layer sounds with different tones or mic placements and settings. It all depends on what you want to achieve. If you are just trying to capture a live performance then you need a good selection of mics at strategic positions within the room. It can also help to put a screen around the drummer and you can even put guitar and bass amps inside a box with their mic - this really helps to reduce interference from instrument to instrument.
Hope that helps!
Thank Super thats what we need to do.
# 7
Gargy
Gargy
08/10/2007 10:07 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEBut then you can hear all the other stuff come through on the drum mic's on play back making the drums sound like crap.

Thats why God invented These
# 8
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
08/11/2007 9:47 pm
Originally Posted by: GargyThats why God invented These
Sweet Bro!
# 9
Gargy
Gargy
08/12/2007 9:50 pm
We used one for our band, it did very nicely though I don't have any of the recordings handy (its on the keyboardist's computer) or I'd show you about what it sounds like. But its worth every cent, I'm thinking about asking to borrow it to record a few things I had made up. It works with any XP computer (though not with Vista yet)
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.