Long-time question

shaggy_bonez
Full Access
shaggy_bonez
Full Access
08/02/2007 8:54 pm
This has been something i've wondered for awhile, and never knew how to word it so here goes...

80's rock and most metal solos perform this "technique" frequently, at least I here it alot. It sounds almost as if its an ascending scale in the box position with a light palm-mute. I've heard ol' Zakk Wylde perform this countless times, Rhoads in "Crazy Train", and MANY thrash metal bands. I'm not sure what it is, and if someone could put me at something thats related to it, or has any advice as to help me conquer it, it would be GREATLY appreciated. It just sounds perfect in metal solos, idk...

Thanks
Shags
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
08/02/2007 9:45 pm
Could you give an example of what your talking about? I don't get it.
# 2
shaggy_bonez
Full Access
shaggy_bonez
Full Access
08/02/2007 10:28 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Could you give an example of what your talking about? I don't get it.

Sorry 'bout the confusion. Listen to "Crazy Train". During the solo (around the 3:07 time), tabs just don't seem explain enough. I hear this in a great deal of metal and it sounds just wicked.
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/03/2007 2:36 am
Originally Posted by: shaggy_bonezSorry 'bout the confusion. Listen to "Crazy Train". During the solo (around the 3:07 time), tabs just don't seem explain enough. I hear this in a great deal of metal and it sounds just wicked.

Just a guess on my part, is it the last lick at the very of the solo before the main riff comes back in? If so, then you are just looking at an ascending F-sharp minor scale played in one position straight across the neck in 1/16th notes. And you are right it is slightly palm muted. It is very well placed ("dramatically") to cap off the solo.

I did a tutorial here that has the pattern he used:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

Check out the Aeolian mode. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
shaggy_bonez
Full Access
shaggy_bonez
Full Access
08/03/2007 7:14 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelJust a guess on my part, is it the last lick at the very of the solo before the main riff comes back in? If so, then you are just looking at an ascending F-sharp minor scale played in one position straight across the neck in 1/16th notes. And you are right it is slightly palm muted. It is very well placed ("dramatically") to cap off the solo.

I'm sure you're right. I'll have to do some testin. Thanks for the answer.
# 5
shaggy_bonez
Full Access
shaggy_bonez
Full Access
08/03/2007 7:16 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelJust a guess on my part, is it the last lick at the very of the solo before the main riff comes back in? If so, then you are just looking at an ascending F-sharp minor scale played in one position straight across the neck in 1/16th notes. And you are right it is slightly palm muted. It is very well placed ("dramatically") to cap off the solo.

Ya, it is the last lick of "Crazy Train" solo. I've heard many licks like this, and I'm pre sure you answered it, stating that it is a slightly palm-muted ascending scale, right? Thanks for the answer, man...keep on rockin!

Later
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.