Restring a Strat

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
07/30/2007 10:36 am
Hey there! :)

I have a silly problem that I can't seem to find the solution to on the website or here in the forums. So... I have this new stratocaster style guitar and while restringing it I am stuck trying to get the strings out of the bridge holes. They are jammed very tightly in there and I can't get them out simply by pushing with the string itself.

Firstly, is there an easy way to get these out? I'm just going to try and find something long enough and skinny enough to force the thing out.

Secondly, is there a way I prevent this from happening again? So that if I need to change a broken string quickly I can get it out and the new one in without anyone knowing.

Thanks
Luke
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
07/31/2007 9:01 am
I managed to fix the first problem by cutting off bits of the old strings and jamming them up and down in the hole till the string loosened. I had to use different gauges for it work effectively.. but I wonder if there is a proper tool available for this.. and also still need an answer to the second part (ie. how to prevent it from happening next time)

Thanks.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2
ren
ren
07/31/2007 9:30 am
I don't use that type of guitar much these days, but I had the same problem on my strat. To my knowledge there is no way to avoid it happening - if the string breaks at the bridge you'll still struggle to get it out of the back of the bridge. If you wanted, I guess you could loop some cotton through the 'ball-end' on the string, and then use that to remove it when necessary.

I've always done what you did - use the end of the string, but I push it through the back and hook the string out by the ballend rather than pushing it throough from the front...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.