Recording to the computer

Zoran
Zoran
10/19/2001 8:31 pm
I was just wondering what hardware/software is available for recording guitar to the computer (from the amp).
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/20/2001 10:42 pm
A little mic, one with a little jack, not the big guitar lead ones, and "sound recorder" on windows (start botton, then accesories, then entertainment, and it's there), it's minimal, but you can record the odd riff here and there into wav...
You can use some thing like "cake walk" or "sound forge" to produce it....
hope this helps...
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/21/2001 3:14 am
Coaster does an excellant job of audio capture for Macintosh.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
token ethnic guy
token ethnic guy
10/26/2001 4:16 pm
The programs educatedfilm suggests will probably do a nice job, but I've never really used them. I tend to stick with Cubase for sequencing/mixing (and adding effects if I can't get hold of the pedal). You can get version 3 for about Ā£50, I think, but I'm not sure if that includes all the plug-ins. You don't need to record through the amp, but it is obviously better. I'd also recommend you get a nice amount of memory (512mb) which shouldn't be a problem with the current low prices.

Be prepared to spend a long time setting the stuff up (unless you're a whizz at computing (or maybe I'm just a moron)), having to deal with retarded soundcards, latency, thousands of setup options, spasticated operating systems that have some problem with you installing non-microsoft products etc. But in the end it is 100% worth it. I only use 4-tracks for sampling now.

Naturally after all of that you'll be wanting seperate editors (e.g. wav). The ones that come with the sequencers tend to be so-so.
Well I've never prayed,
But tonight I'm on my knees, yeah.
I need to hear some sounds that recognise the pain in me, yeah.
I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind , I feel free now.
But the airwaves are clean and there's nobody singing to me now.

# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/26/2001 9:11 pm
oh yeah... I forgot to mention that you will get a horrible buzz due to the monitor, which is a pain as you either have to start recording and the sit down far away and play, or turn the monitor off and press the enter button to start, but some of the programs need you to use the mouse so keep it still, or do what i do and get the cursor over the button and then take out the ball so it doesnt move, and then click....
Just thought i'd tell you that the humm you'll get from your monitor shouldn't be unexpected... hope it helps...
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/27/2001 9:51 pm
i connect my guitar through my zoom into my amp and then into the pc mic/line in connections
somehow i cant record through the win recorder or via the goldwave, i dont know why but it turns out realy realy quite
and when im turning the volume higher with the goldwave i have unbearable feedbacks, and i almost cant hear the guitar
anyone knows what seems to be the problem?
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6
jarviss
jarviss
10/28/2001 6:56 am
im not familar with goldwave....
but....maybe you should check your levels....
if you click on your little icon down there in your
windows task bar...(pc right?)..
anyway..if your soundcard allows it..you can adjust your levels...for your line in/mic..
mine has a separate one for line in and mic..
i use line in for my guitar..and play a little bit
and adjust the slider on the 'record' area..
until i get a nice "hot" level...
where it almost goes up to the red indicators but not really?
i wonder if any of this is making sense..
then once that is set on your soundcard..you can
adjust the recording level in your program..
thats how it works for me anyway..
good luck
-G
yo
# 7
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/28/2001 2:00 pm
i tried to do this many times, but it just doesnt work
realy strange

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 8
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/28/2001 11:26 pm
yeah... I've got this problem too... I cant connect my guitar (straight away or through a pedal into the sound card), It just comes out really really quite... That's why i've had to mike up my amp.... It's a shame cos i've got some great soft ware for effects... Anyone know how to get round this?
# 9
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
10/29/2001 3:17 am
Originally posted by educatedfilm
yeah... I've got this problem too... I cant connect my guitar (straight away or through a pedal into the sound card), It just comes out really really quite... That's why i've had to mike up my amp.... It's a shame cos i've got some great soft ware for effects... Anyone know how to get round this?

Yes...I've found the best way to record to PC is if you have some kind of mixer board...obvisouly this is not a cheap solution to your problem. Your sound card Line In does not amplify whatever input device is connected. Thus..it needs to be amplified by another source...i.e. an amplifier (which can get loud when you have an idea at 3 am) an effects unit with a good output amplification...or a mixer board (or PA). I like to use my Boss GT-3. Great output amplification...and I can plug in headphones so the neighbors don't have to put up with my loud recording sessions! My sound card is a Sound Blaster Live! Platinum with the Live! Drive...you should check them out...I got this one for about 80 bucks total and it has 1/4 inch input jacks on the front as well as a 1/4 headphone jack, MIDI in and out and SPDIF in and out...great little toy. Good luck.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 10
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
10/29/2001 3:20 am
PS...I use ACID 3.0 by Sonic Foundry to create and edit my own drum loops. I use Cool Edit to record. Pro Tools actually has a Free Full Version download (kinda like a full version eval copy without an expiration) at their website. The only reason I don't use that is because it only operates on Mac's, or Windows 98, 98 SE, and Me. I'm running on Windows XP.

David O. McKay
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/29/2001 8:59 am
If you're running Microsoft's latest OS, you owe it to yourself to drop in on Steve Gibson's website. He's one of the world's foremost computer security experts. The man knows what he's talking about!

I must stress the importance of this to anyone who has an XP machine connected to the Web.

Go to http://grc.com/ and follow the links to SocketToMe and SocketLock. Your computer's health depends on it!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/29/2001 11:42 am
i found out yesterday that the line in was muted all the time in the sound control
now it is kinda quite anyway but i can get the volume much higher with the goldwave
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 13
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
10/29/2001 1:58 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
If you're running Microsoft's latest OS, you owe it to yourself to drop in on Steve Gibson's website. He's one of the world's foremost computer security experts. The man knows what he's talking about!

I must stress the importance of this to anyone who has an XP machine connected to the Web.

Go to http://grc.com/ and follow the links to SocketToMe and SocketLock. Your computer's health depends on it!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm running Win XP Pro which allows me to decide who I want to be administrators or not. I got firewalls...Norton AV 2k2....etc...so I'll be allright, but again, thanks for the heads up.

David O. McKay
# 14
lidex
lidex
10/30/2001 4:49 am
Zoran

Go here: http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=b.MDO&z=1207822925903

This is some great(relatively)inexpensive hardware.Then,in the left pane click on "Software & Hardware."The main thing you get from this type of hardware are the I/O options;some even with onboard preamps.Team that up with a good software package and you're "in the studio"Peace
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.