Little Wing--G3 style

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
07/25/2007 2:34 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN9wAp-KMwg&mode=related&search=

I had to share this with people who would understand. But I'm sharing not cuz I necessarily liked it, but cuz it bothered me. Satch is the only one who did this solo in the manner it was meant to be. What a cluster **** Vai and Yngwie made. :mad:

Sorry, I love this song too much for it to be ruined in such a manner. Long live Satch, you capable of anything, soulful man. :cool:
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/25/2007 2:57 am
Yeah, bummer... :(

I mean, I'm all for a screamin Vai solo, although never Yngwie (he's sooo fat and annoying it makes me sick)... Vai can add some color to a sweep or fast run, but that didnt cut it for me. Congrats to Satch though. You know what man... It was a G3 concert, and as dumb as it seems, thats what the pople pay to see. They want the most soul-less solo played at mach speeds. Lame. :(
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
07/25/2007 3:22 am
True dat, man, true dat. Yngwie is a waste of talent in my opinion, but that is just my opinion. If 18 million beats per second, neo-classical junk is your thing, then all the power to ya. But if you're gonna do such a thing, don't ruin one of the greatest songs in history. Vai is ok. Off of that same DVD, "Juice" is a really cool bluesy tune. I enjoy that kind of stuff of his thoroughly. Along with many others by Vai. But some of his stuff is just mindless junk.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
ren
ren
07/25/2007 11:09 am
Well, I think Vai pulled a blinder on this G3 as any other... 'Rockin in the free world' was better IMO, but I liked his solo on little wing too.

Yngwie... yeah, I've never been a fan - but there is huge comedy value in watching the looks Vai and Satch exchange when YJM is pulling another harmonic minor run (yawn).

Each to their own, but the whole point of a cover is to play it your way, not to faithfully represent the original...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
07/25/2007 11:32 am
Well I enjoyed it.. but yes.. the Yngwie bits did go on abit.. but I liked his first part of his part of the solo..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/25/2007 5:37 pm
See... this is the deal... you can go all Yngwie on a cover and harmonically overwhelm a song with speed, or you can do it the logical, reasonable thing and take an approach to it as Eric Johnson would. Heck yeah! Fly through the piece as fast as you please, but put a little bit of soul into it and maybe give respect to 1 MAYBE 2 of the important chord changes in the song. And yes, we judge this on one song, and I have seen and heard steve vai play some pretty soulful stuff (NOT THE FAT YNGWIE) and I give him props for whats not seen in this, but in this instance, the tapping isn't gonna fly with little wing. :cool:

*Edit*
On a second thought... I can't believe that Satch and Vai can even stand playing with some melonhead who ranks himself above Mozart. :confused:

SoundClick Page

# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
07/25/2007 8:21 pm
The look Satch and Vai exchange is priceless. Rockin in the Free World is amazing. I enjoyed it better than Neil Young's version. Yngwie is a butt head and I will never like him.
# 7
dvenetian
dvenetian
07/27/2007 6:50 am
It's amazing to me by the number of guitarists who just can't stand Yngwie since he let his talents go to his head and became such a fool by his actions, especially in public view. Nothing humble or grateful for his talent is shown by him now. He wasn't always like this though. In His early days, he wasn't this boastfulness monster that even the public praises helped create.
He shocked the industry in the beginning by his talent and seemless mechanical ability. This old clip shows a more humble Yngwie that even has some Ritchie Blackmore and EVH inspiration. The thing that impresses me is his internal clock as timekeeper, effortless chord changes, sound control at high volume, unrehearsed usage of effects and ability to add in some feeling with his early playing. This is how I remember Yngwie, too bad he lost that sense of recognition nowadays by becoming a complete Jackass (regardless of his behavior, he rightfully was an amazing player before losing his roots).
Just think if the guy in ths clip was your neighbor. I would be impressed to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvKqxNea9iA

One good thing is that so many other greats have taken notice by how the public views Malmsteen's attitude that most won't make the same mistake...
# 8
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
07/27/2007 1:36 pm
Wow. That video was insane. If Yngwie still played like that.....I'd be a fan.
# 9
dvenetian
dvenetian
07/30/2007 3:17 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintWow. That video was insane. If Yngwie still played like that.....I'd be a fan.

I know what ya mean Griz,,, I know what ya mean.... It's a shame he didn't realize what he had.
# 10
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/30/2007 5:57 pm
Honestly I really enjoy a lot of Yngwie's speed runs, but more than not, he goes way overboard, and that look on his face (I know everybody knows what I'm talking about) just turns me away. Its that look of pure *I'm god and I shall make you think I'm god* thing thats the turn off IMO.

This is basically exactly how he is seen in my mind...

Yngwie Video

SoundClick Page

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.