View post (The E Mode or something like that!!!)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2007 2:18 pm
Originally Posted by: shapertakhi wanted to see as to which scale/mode this progression would fit into ...[/quote]
Bravo, good for you thinking in terms of theory!
Originally Posted by: shapertakh
.....E is what comes to mind and i was like good this is the key of E major (so far i know that the starting/tonic chord is the key) ... [/QUOTE]
That is a good guess, but for future reference, the first chord in a progression is not always or necessarily the tonic.
[QUOTE=shapertakh] well after some thought i figured its got to be E Locarian and E Phyrigian...why cus only these two modes of E major contain the notes E and F.

Good thinking. :)
[QUOTE=shapertakh] ... what the heck, how do i get the Fmaj cuz the ii is a minor ... so i read again and till now ive come to conclude that its got to do something with MODULATION or SUBSTITUTION?????

You conclude correctly!

The modified (or modulated) scale you are after is A harmonic minor; the mode is E Phrygian Dominant. Those are the ones that contain the notes that will properly form the E and F major chords:

A harmonic minor: a-b-c-d-e-f-g#-a (minor with a raised 7th degree)
E major chord: e-g#-b
F major chord: f-a-c

Start the A harmonic minor scale on it's 5 note (the "fifth mode of") and you will get E Phrygian Dominant: e-f-g#-a-b-c-d-e

The thing that may have caused you all the confusion here is that you just happened to start on the chord in with an altered note! Hope this helps; happy playing!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory