View post (The E Mode or something like that!!!)

View thread

shapertakh
shapertakh
07/24/2007 4:46 am
hi,

ok so heres what i recently ran into......i was strumming some chords when i found this nice feel when i strummed E and then F.

(just for the record im new to theory) i wanted to see as to which scale/mode this progression would fit into........E is what comes to mind and i was like good this is the key of E major (so far i know that the starting/tonic chord is the key) and the scale????? :confused: well after some thought i figured its got to be E Locarian and E Phyrigian...why cus only these two modes of E major contain the notes E and F.

i was really happy but came another problem!!!!......so far i know that for a major scale the chords are determined as I ii iii IV V vi VII*.......and i was like what the heck, how do i get the Fmaj cuz the ii is a minor :confused:

so i read again and till now ive come to conclude that its got to do something with MODULATION or SUBSTITUTION?????

by modulation i mean starting at E maj and modulating to some F major scale but then again its definately not the best ways to modulate!! (like ive read that a good way to modulate can be by using the V)

substitution....well i guess i could substitute a Fmaj instead of a F min while i use the same E mode......is that a possibility???

neways this is what ive come to think of.......i could be absolutely wrong or i could be partially correct..........please help me with this problem.....thanks

shapi