Left hand fret plucking

rhythm
rhythm
07/12/2007 6:35 pm
Right, I am practicing some finger style alternate picking in a D chord, the first 4 stings. I was playing along ok and decided I wanted to try to pluck some bass as well on the 5th and 6th. I decided to try and do it with my left hand pinkie. It sounded ok and wasnt too hard. I am a total beginner in my first 2 months of playing.

Does anybody else pick with the left hand? Is it a recognised technique or is it a case of the attack not being strong enough? Not sure I will still be doing it when I am a rock god, but I am just curious if anybody else has developed this fully and is it worth it?
# 1

07/12/2007 10:39 pm
Are you doing a hammer-on with the left hand fingers?

If you are just playing the open string, it would seem easier to play them with your right hand thumb and use your 3-4 other fingers to play the higher strings.
# 2
rhythm
rhythm
07/13/2007 8:36 am
nope, I am just picking in the same manner I would with my right hand, just up the fret board. Not a hammer on. I started doing it because I was not fast enough to get what I wanted with my right at all my usable fingers were at max output (for my current abillity). It seemed to work ok.

I have to say it did sound decent, but it sounded decent on my hideous buzzing, warp necked, classical Admira guitar :( . I bought it about five years ago before I knew anything about guitar for 40 pounds from a pawn shop but since I did my inital learning on my fathers goodish accoustic I now appriciate how bad it is. Everything I play on that guitar is masked with the same rubbish tone. Doing this might be exposed as being a really bad idea on a guitar that sounded any good.

So with that new info, does anybody else do it? Could somebody just have a quick try on a good guitar and tell me what it sounds like?
# 3
ren
ren
07/17/2007 4:58 pm
It may seem easier right now, you might even be able to turn it into 'your thing' (like EVH Tapping, Or Batio playing a double neck etc)...

I doubt in the longer term you'll find it useful - you'll be wanting your fretting hand picky to fret notes. As Benoit says, using your thumb is the most economic way of hitting the lower strings. Speed comes with time.... patience... :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.