Multi-instrumentalist..........the benifits.

rhythm
rhythm
07/03/2007 2:35 pm
So, if acoustic strengthens your fingers and helps you become a better Electric player (some people think it just makes you a better acoustic player). What does playing bass do for your acoustic or electric playing? Specifically bass, but does anyone think that learning bass, mandolin, banjo or ukuele has an effect (possitive or negative) on guitar technique while you are learning?

My dad plays acoustic, electric, banjo and mandolin as did his father and his brothers but getting an answer out of him for anything requires an Enigma machine. The man talks in riddles.
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
07/03/2007 7:13 pm
IMO playing music on as many instruments as you can gain access to is a good thing. One word of caution, don't spread yourself too thin or you may not make progress on any of them.

I play many instruments and have benefited greatly from all of them.
# 2
rhythm
rhythm
07/03/2007 9:11 pm
Cool, what do you play and what helps what?.......................Bass?
# 3
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
07/04/2007 2:43 am
i guess its always good to know a little abt other instruments...well even better to be good at several instruments...drumming would probably help you gain better timing when you play guitar...ive always loved drums but since its not a very practical instrument to carry around i opted for the guitar full time..
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 4
cdm442
cdm442
07/04/2007 3:07 am
i think its cool to play alot of stuff. i can pretty much pick up any instrument and play a song
I'm complicated, I get frustrated, right or wrong, love or hate it,I'm complicated, you can't sedate it, I've heard that song, but i won't play it, I'm complicated.-Bon Jovi
# 5
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/04/2007 3:08 am
Here's my say in this... I myself am a drummer of 7 yrs and a guitarist of 3. I would not doubt for a second that drumming helped me a thousand percent with picking up guitar. I had gained an excellent sense of feel for rhythms and stuff, and already had some experience with independence of two different hand combinations. I never even thought of that till this very moment, but heck, I guess that actually did help. I indulge in a little bass as well just for writing songs, or even just a change of scenery. I'm absolute garbage at bass when it comes to bass lines, but I can fiddle around 6 string style for a little. I think it was hard switching to guitar from bass because the huge string size difference throws you off. I'm very inexperienced at bass so the combo would probably be fine. Definitely knowing a little about every instrument would be great for your own knowledge, and especially for song writing, but as ardvark said, don't spread yourself too thin. I struggle getting in practice for guitar and drums, let alone a few more instruments. Definitely get a briefing on the whole shpeel of them, but I'd recommend focusing mainly on one. I don't know how much time you have to dedicate to everything, but from my standpoint, just 2 is tough. If you think about it, a normal guitar practice is atleast 1-2 hrs, varying from person to person. Get 3 instruments going, then you've ot 3-6 hrs ahead of you each day. Try fitting that into a normal schedule. :eek:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/04/2007 3:34 am
I actually just recently picked up the drums. My brother got a set about 5 years ago and gave up on them after a year. I put them in my room about a month ago and have been teaching myself. I wanted to start not only because it would be cool to learn another instrument, but I wanted to improve my coordination and rythm. A drummers job is to keep the time, so that will help a LOT in guitar. As far as coordination, since you need to be doing a lot of different things at once, your mind get used to thinking differently and you get a wider range of "abilities" I would say.
# 7
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/04/2007 3:54 am
Ya, idulge yourself in an advanced latin groove, that'll make you quit agian. :D In all seriousness, that's what you need if you want that coordination to improve. A latin groove usually involves a clave beat on the snare, funky ride cymbal pattern, hi hat on either all four quarter notes or 2 and 4... not too mention the impossible bass drum pattern that completments the whole schpeel. Sounds simple until you realize that none of it matches up in any way. All the parts are on their own man. But really, its so much fun! :o

SoundClick Page

# 8
ren
ren
07/04/2007 1:52 pm
I'm with Akira - I play drums, bass, piano and cello as well as guitar. I think playing each gives you an insight and helps you work with the other instruments. I am ridiculously bad on piano, but playing the drums helped me with rhythm, and is/was a huge benefit to my guitar playing.

Plus, it's pretty good fun, and when I don't want to play guitar I can have a break on the drums instead... \m/ :cool:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
rhythm
rhythm
07/04/2007 11:48 pm
Wow, thanks for the replys guys. I hear what you are saying about not spreading to thin across too many instruments, but I am talking about being a decent multi-instumentalist over the next 10 years or so. Its just a goal. Although I would love to play drums, I never really thought about it as being an instrument that would aid guitar playing. I am sure if it had come into my mind I would have thought the rhythm aspect would be important, but for some reason I just thought about anything with strings. The replys were an eye opener...........drums..........interesting.

I also hear what your saying about drums not being too portable. I was in a music store today though and had a 2 minute blast on an eectric drum set for the first time. This one was a Yamaha, do all electric drum sets sound so weak?
# 10
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/05/2007 12:35 am
Ummm... not all. There's the phenominal $5,000 roland V-Drums, which I assure you, no matter what, will sound great. The deciding factor(s) though is/are 1: the amp/headphones that are being used and the drum kit settings you are using. I have the standard V-Drums set which after a few long sessions of fiddling, I found a great kit sound that I love. I used my Marshall 50dfx as a speaker and it sounds super. Excellent and easy way to record. One cable required apposed to about 6 or 7.

SoundClick Page

# 11
cdm442
cdm442
07/05/2007 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: WeslabaHere's my say in this... I myself am a drummer of 7 yrs and a guitarist of 3. I would not doubt for a second that drumming helped me a thousand percent with picking up guitar. I had gained an excellent sense of feel for rhythms and stuff, and already had some experience with independence of two different hand combinations. I never even thought of that till this very moment, but heck, I guess that actually did help. I indulge in a little bass as well just for writing songs, or even just a change of scenery. I'm absolute garbage at bass when it comes to bass lines, but I can fiddle around 6 string style for a little. I think it was hard switching to guitar from bass because the huge string size difference throws you off. I'm very inexperienced at bass so the combo would probably be fine. Definitely knowing a little about every instrument would be great for your own knowledge, and especially for song writing, but as ardvark said, don't spread yourself too thin. I struggle getting in practice for guitar and drums, let alone a few more instruments. Definitely get a briefing on the whole shpeel of them, but I'd recommend focusing mainly on one. I don't know how much time you have to dedicate to everything, but from my standpoint, just 2 is tough. If you think about it, a normal guitar practice is atleast 1-2 hrs, varying from person to person. Get 3 instruments going, then you've ot 3-6 hrs ahead of you each day. Try fitting that into a normal schedule. :eek:
i dont practice any thing but guitar everyday but i can pretty much play a song on any instrument just from picking up stuff here and there
I'm complicated, I get frustrated, right or wrong, love or hate it,I'm complicated, you can't sedate it, I've heard that song, but i won't play it, I'm complicated.-Bon Jovi
# 12
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
07/05/2007 6:14 pm
Originally Posted by: rhythmCool, what do you play and what helps what?.......................Bass?

Alto Sax
Tenor Sax
Cello
Bass
Keyboards
Guit Fiddle

It helps everything because you learn different types of musical parts and how they all interrelate.
# 13
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/05/2007 7:00 pm
Since drums aren't very portable, its a good choice for a secondary instrument. You would have to worry about it a lot more if it was the main instrument you played. As far as electric drums go, there are some really good ones out there. They get really expensive though, so keep in mind that the higher the quality, the bigger the hole in your pocket.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.